AI Programmer [FAR CRY Project]
On being an AI Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto:
When you’re an AI Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto, you care about keeping our players immersed in the game world. Using our most advanced tools, you make the unexpected come to life; in many ways, you are responsible for creating the exciting, suspenseful and downright fun interactions within a game's universe. One of your biggest thrills is witnessing players engage with your work in surprising new ways.
You understand that game development is an iterative process and you work with mission designers to improve each new version. As a dependable and collaborative member in an interdependent team of programmers, animators, designers, and dev testers, you provide the remarkable AI knowledge that will create the most compelling and interesting AI experience possible for our players.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time; Toronto, Ontario; Hybrid, flexible work environment
What you’ll do:
- When you get in in the morning, you sync up to the latest code and data, and check your email;
- Then it's off to your morning scrum, where the team discusses issues that have arisen. You present avenues for AI improvement, and what you will be working on for the day – which is programming AI for non-playable characters' (NPCs) behaviours, navigation, decisional systems and traffic systems, for instance, and fixing AI-related bugs;
- In collaboration with designers, you ensure that the game's AI systems are coherent and maintain high standards of quality.
What you bring:
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or equivalent training or relevant experience
- Excellent understanding of C++, including refactoring, optimization, debugging and testing
- Strong experience in profiling and low-level optimizations
- Significant knowledge and experience with existing and cutting-edge AI technologies (e.g. pathfinding, behavior trees, planning, character controllers)
- Experience from modern game development and a never-ending curiosity for the games industry and new technology
- That rare mix of attention to detail and flexibility in your work organization
- A proficiency to communicate with all disciplines and to support and elevate the team in terms of quality and vision of the game
- You are creative and thirsty for innovation
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences, that's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
- A hybrid, flexible work model
- Six weeks of vacation
- An enhanced parental leave program
- Comprehensive Total Rewards Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation Assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Life at Ubisoft
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. You’ll have opportunities to be challenged, learn and grow in your role. Pushing the boundaries of what’s possible within game development while working with Ubisoft’s most powerful technologies – from game engines to performance capture and more. Annual performance reviews and salary increases will help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer hybrid remote work options, six weeks of vacation for all employees, an enhanced parental leave program, a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development.
We celebrate the big and small moments together – with virtual events, get togethers, giveaways and more. In addition to our “right to disconnect” philosophy, the studio offers a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, an on-site gym, flexible work hours, and other programs to create a better, sustainable work environment for our teams.
We encourage you to read our Code of Conduct prior to applying. It is our collective responsibility at Ubisoft Toronto to maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment, and be the best possible place to work and grow. Knowing and respecting our Code of Conduct’s principles and guidelines is key to achieving that goal.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects the diversity of our player community, is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team and embodies our core values – trust, integrity, excellence and care.
We encourage applications from First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQIA+.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
Ubisoft Toronto is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.