Art Director [Splinter Cell]
We’re working on a Splinter Cell remake, assembling a team with passion, drive and respect for the trifocal goggles. This is an opportunity to be part of a treasured franchise, rebuilt on Ubisoft’s Snowdrop engine to deliver next-generation visuals and modernized stealth gameplay, while preserving what's at the heart of the Splinter Cell experience.
On being an Art Director at Ubisoft Toronto
As an Art Director at UbiTO, you’ll guide the team in creating a rich, captivating, and meaningful world players will immerse themselves in. You are fundamental to a game’s development: a member of the core team, the connection between the creative vision and the artists, the voice of the art team, and a thought leader.
You collaborate with other departments to develop and apply a broad vision for the game. Your direction supports their direction, and theirs yours; your success is their success, and theirs yours. You understand that the game is only as strong as its weakest part, and you actively collaborate with both creators and other thought leaders to ensure that the entire package is strong.
As a vision champion, you not only provide your team with direction, you provide a creative space for them to incorporate their ideas and use them to help shape the artistic direction. You motivate, inspire, and support the team to transform concepts to reality. You have the talent and expertise to help the teams produce visual content that is aligned with the creative vision and of AAA+ quality.
You will need to present and communicate your artistic vision to, and collaborate with, the brand management team, to share it with the public. You will be a key contributor in providing visual guidelines for promotional material, ensuring consistency, and bringing the game world to life.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time; Toronto, Ontario; Hybrid, flexible work environment
The daily life of an Art Director at Ubisoft Toronto
- Liaise with the producer and core creative team to define and maintain the vision of the game;
- Partner with associate art directors and lead artists to develop the overall tone and mood; explore locations, key moments, emotional contrasts and characters;
- Develop the visual style guide of the game, creating mood boards, references, and descriptions;
- Collaborate closely with the technical teams to ensure an art vision which respects engine constraints and budgets, while also achieving excellence in visuals and realisation;
- Support the team in achieving quality by asking the right questions, providing suggestions, and offering actionable feedback when required;
- Excel at collaboration across all departments, at all stages of development;
- Participate in recruitment and career development to build the art team and foster their growth;
What it takes to make it
- At least 5 years of creative leadership experience;
- A proven track record, having shipped AAA-quality games;
- Knowledge of Photoshop and 3D software such as 3DS Max;
- Excellent understanding of art fundamentals and their practical application;
- A curiosity for new technologies and advancements in the game industry;
- A creative and empathetic spirit;
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, presentation, and mentorship skills;
- Ability to take feedback and adapt to it;
- A strongly-held belief that collaboration is the only road to success;
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences, which is why we very strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not meet all the requirements listed above.
- A hybrid, flexible work model
- Six weeks of vacation
- An enhanced parental leave program
- Comprehensive Total Rewards Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation Assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Life at Ubisoft
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. You’ll have opportunities to be challenged, learn and grow in your role. Pushing the boundaries of what’s possible within game development while working with Ubisoft’s most powerful technologies – from game engines to performance capture and more. Annual performance reviews and salary increases will help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer hybrid remote work options, six weeks of vacation for all employees, an enhanced parental leave program, a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development.
We celebrate the big and small moments together – with virtual events, get togethers, giveaways and more. In addition to our “right to disconnect” philosophy, the studio offers a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, an on-site gym, flexible work hours, and other programs to create a better, sustainable work environment for our teams.
We encourage you to read our Code of Conduct prior to applying. It is our collective responsibility at Ubisoft Toronto to maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment, and be the best possible place to work and grow. Knowing and respecting our Code of Conduct’s principles and guidelines is key to achieving that goal.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects the diversity of our player community, is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team and embodies our core values – trust, integrity, excellence and care.
We encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
Ubisoft Toronto is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.