Associate Content Designer
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Dundee is on the lookout for talented Associate Content Designers who possess a passion for game design and development. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Dundee.
WHAT WE DO
- Our team creates and authors various game content such as missions, competitive modes, open world content and a wide variety of other similar content.
- We work closely with other designers to develop and iterate on ideas. We carry out frequent internal playthroughs to review and further develop content. The nature of our tools allows for very quick turnaround and iteration on ideas, whether this be prototyping something new entirely or working in an exciting new idea into existing content.
- Our content often requires us to work closely and communicate with a very wide range of other departments within the company, such as Art, SFX, VFX, Script, Code, Animation, Writing, etc. to help develop and implement assets from these departments.
- Creative thinking is an important part of what we do, and while we work to design briefs, designers have many opportunities to shape our content from the ground up.
- Create missions and other game content using our in-house content creation tools.
- Prototype ideas for new content.
- Maintain content by fixing bugs, implementing feedback, identifying potential issues.
- Work with Lead Designers to develop content further and iterate on ideas.
- Play and provide constructive / detailed feedback through notes or bugs, checking that the design is being implemented as expected in game.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of specified designs and develop an overarching understanding of the teams’ design goals.
- Work with other departments to develop, implement and maintain features within our content, such as VFX, SFX, Animation, Code, Script.
- Work closely with our script team to maintain and develop our content creation tools.
- Learn about and adhere to our internal systems, software and processes.
- Maintain documentation and resources in line with design updates and feedback.
- Manage competing priorities effectively ensuring that all relevant parties are informed of project status/changes.
- Game Design or related degree.
- A broad knowledge and passion for game design techniques and standards.
- The ability to problem solve creatively within a constricted tool set.
- Can work effectively as part of a team or alone.
- Organized and efficient in workflows, can work well autonomously to follow up on tasks.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and logical thinking skills to break down the structure of various content types and identify potential issues in advance.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to multitask and work to deadlines.
- Ability to become quickly accustomed to various in-house software systems.
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively, respecting others' opinions.
- Comfortable in expressing thoughts and opinions constructively.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience in using third party game development tools – personal projects, game jams, modding scene.
- Experience working in the games industry, even if within a different discipline, e.g. QA.
- Passion for playing online multiplayer games, with a good understanding of the mechanics involved.
- Proactively keep up-to-date with the latest multiplayer features within the industry.
- Portfolio of games worked on showing design skills.
- Experience in writing and maintaining design documentation.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.