Associate Designer: Open World
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar North is on the lookout for talented designers who possess a high level of technical expertise and a passion for creating unique and compelling open world content. As part of the Open World team you will be creating unique moments of gameplay using both script and in-house tools. You will be required to engage with a range of classic game programming areas such as AI, physics, animation, UI, and data management among others.
This is a full-time position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Edinburgh.
WHAT WE DO
- Our team creates a range of Open World content that delivers unique gameplay and story elements to the player. The scope of our content varies from simple interactions to complex multistage events.
- Our content can be very intricate, so our team members have a wide range of technical expertise. In addition to scripting, we use a suite of tools to author our content.
- We work with lots of different departments to design and deliver our content including narrative, art, code, UI, animation and audio. Excellent communication is essential to deliver our content to a high standard.
- Our designers work independently and proactively to implement feedback to strict deadlines. We use rapid iteration to refine and polish our content.
- Creative thinking is an important part of what we do, and while we work to design briefs, designers have many opportunities to shape our games from the ground up.
- Our designers use their wide knowledge of gaming, game design and outside culture to make every aspect of our game’s world class.
- Author exciting new content using C# and our in-house tools.
- Implement feedback and maintain a high level of stability while meeting strict deadlines.
- Liaise with artists, animators, and programmers to create compelling content.
- Use in-house project management and bugging tools.
- A Computer Science or Game Design degree is considered an advantage. However, relevant experience is taken into consideration.
- Strong C# programming ability.
- A good understanding of object-oriented programming patterns.
- Experience with visual scripting tools.
- Excellent communication, technical & problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized with proven ability to deliver on deadlines.
- A game design-oriented mindset, and a passion for creating games.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Prior experience working in medium to large sized development teams.
- Experience of game design/scripting in a professional environment.
- Experience with bug tracking software.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.