Associate World Level Design Director [Star Wars Project]
On being an Associate Design Director (World) at Ubisoft Toronto:
As an Associate World Level Design Director at Ubisoft Toronto, you will be working together with the team at Massive Entertainment to create a new story-driven open-world video game set in the Star Wars galaxy. Our goal is to create a game and a story that bring both new and lifelong fans on an immersive and outstanding journey, which will stay with them for years to come.
You will be the creative mind behind the paths players will navigate, the landscapes they’ll explore, and the unique places they’ll travel as they move within an immersive world.
You draft a content-rich map, and then guide a talented group of level designers to bring its layouts and locations to life. As an empathetic mentor, you step in to help your team polish and combine their pieces to provide players with a cohesive and captivating world at their fingertips.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with the mission design director and other core team members to define the vision of a game;
- Own and set guidelines for the open world experience of the game;
- Assist level designers during prototyping (experiment with designs and explore opportunities);
- Outline the gameplay experience (landscape, landmarks, layout, flow, etc.) in world documentation that will serve as a reference and source of inspiration throughout development;
- Coordinate and oversee world level designers as they translate a vision into an engaging player experience;
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints to align all technical, design, graphic, and narrative features;
- Provide mentorship and constructive feedback to your level design team to achieve quality;
- Find solutions to issues uncovered by play testers and cross-functional teams (get to the root of problems to solve them).
What it takes to make it:
- Relevant experience on a game team;
- Shipped titles in a relevant role;
- 2+ years leadership experience;
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- A solid understanding of level design and all stages of video game development;
- Excellent time management, problem-solving, and organizational skills;
- An innovative, creative, and collaborative spirit;
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it – you have the flexibility to revaluate and adjust your level design direction when and as often as needed!
What to send our way:
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
- A hybrid, flexible work model
- Six weeks of vacation
- An enhanced parental leave program
- Comprehensive Total Rewards Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation Assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Life at Ubisoft
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. You’ll have opportunities to be challenged, learn and grow in your role. Pushing the boundaries of what’s possible within game development while working with Ubisoft’s most powerful technologies – from game engines to performance capture and more. Annual performance reviews and salary increases will help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer hybrid remote work options, six weeks of vacation for all employees, an enhanced parental leave program, a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development.
We celebrate the big and small moments together – with virtual events, get togethers, giveaways and more. In addition to our “right to disconnect” philosophy, the studio offers a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, an on-site gym, flexible work hours, and other programs to create a better, sustainable work environment for our teams.
We encourage you to read our Code of Conduct prior to applying. It is our collective responsibility at Ubisoft Toronto to maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment, and be the best possible place to work and grow. Knowing and respecting our Code of Conduct’s principles and guidelines is key to achieving that goal.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects the diversity of our players and community, celebrates the individuality of our team members and embodies our core values – trust, integrity, excellence and care.
We encourage applications from First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or a member of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Accommodations are available upon request.
Skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different kinds of experiences. That's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.