PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
BI Solution Architect
San Mateo, CA
About SIE and Data Strategy & Operations (DSO)
With over 120 Million customers in 109 countries, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is committed to using data to understand The Players: our customers, better than anyone else. Using the outstanding networked power of PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4 and our other PlayStation systems we learn how they use them for gaming, and also how they use the networked services like streamed games, music, video, and how they pay, and how we can improve their customer experience. We work with games developers, marketing, R&D, PlayStation®Store, and many other parts of Sony to constantly improve our customer experience and increase our business potential!
The Data Strategy & Operations (DSO) team has grown rapidly over recent years in response to a growing need for the business to use data to advise and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. The DSO team is split between London and California, made up of high quality BI and data professionals covering BI architecture and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, scrum masters and product management.
We are looking for an experienced BI Solution Architect to join the DSO Architecture team.
- To deliver solution architectures for assigned projects working closely with the product management and engineering teams
- To support the development of the DSO Architecture practice and DSO Strategies/Roadmaps
- To enable design governance, ensuring alignment to standards and the DSO Strategies/Roadmaps collaboratively through design and delivery
As DSO is a global department with teams based in London & California the candidate should be:
- Able to work closely with resources in different time zones (primarily UK - GMT)
- Able to work with little supervision, reporting to a line manager in the UK
Areas of Responsibility:
- Solution Architecture: Manage & deliver the solution architecture on assigned projects, clearly capturing the impact on the DSO platform, services & teams. Provide leadership in ensuring the best fit to the business needs across business process, support, time and cost dimensions. Ensure smooth transition of the solution from architecture to engineering teams for implementation.
- Architectural Artefacts: Deliver high quality architectural artefacts which clearly explains the solution, key decisions and rationale behind it. Make sure that all artefacts are approachable, useable and socialised with the target partners (external & internal to DSO).
- Architecture Governance: Develop, maintain and socialise the architecture standards, patterns and policies across the DSO department on assigned projects. Drive their adoption across the DSO department and the wider enterprise (where applicable).
- Architecture Practice: Take an active role in contributing to the efficiency of the architecture practice through developing improved ways of working. Collaborate with other practices across SIE to share and adopt standard methodology.
- Supplier Management: Work with suppliers to understand their future vision and strategy. Build supplier partnerships to gain the best outcome for the enterprise.
- Collaborate: Build strong working relationships with architects and engineering teams across DSO, and wider Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE). Work closely with SIE Data Governance & Security teams to ensure compliance with SIE policies.
Business Intelligence Architecture Experience:
- ETL tools: such as Ab Initio and PySpark
- MPP architecture: such as Snowflake, Netezza or Teradata
- Visualisation tools: such as MicroStrategy, Domo or Tableau
- Web Analytics: such Adobe Analytics
- Data Science Platforms: such as JupyterHub, Spark and EMR
High performance distributed architectures:
- Streaming Analytics: such as Kinesis, Kafka, Apache Spark or Ab Initio continuous flows
- Scheduling: such as Airflow or Control-M
- Logging Monitoring & Alerting: such as Splunk, DataDog, CloudWatch, etc
- NoSQL paradigm: such as Graph DB or DynamoDB (desirable)
Cloud Hosting architectures:
- AWS services: VPC, Networking, S3, EKS, EMR and EC2
Functional experience in one or more of the domains below:
- Digital Marketing Architecture Experience
- Preferably on platforms like Salesforce, Google, Facebook, Krux (DMP), InfoSum, etc.
- Advanced Analytics Architecture
- Digital Retail Architecture
- Digital and Physical Supply Chain Architecture
Appreciation of Development and Integration Challenges:
- Java stack
- Integration Platforms – ETL & ESB
- MDM solutions for customer and product
Appreciation of Cloud Infrastructure and Cloud Security:
- Virtualisation Technology (Server and Storage)
- Network Provisioning (LAN, WAN, VPN, VPC)
- Security Architectures
- Appreciation of Data Governance and Security Policies
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a solution architect or technical lead on major programs of work, with at least 2 years of experience in defining BI solutions.
- Demonstrable ability to deliver flexible, reliable, supportable, cost effective (packaged and custom) solutions.
- Demonstrable ability to work closely with product managers and engineering teams to ensure the solution aligns with the business requirements and is deliverable.
- Demonstrable knowledge of solution architecture governance through the use of principles, policies, views, viewpoints and building blocks.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the IT and BI marketplace and trends within end user organizations including media, marketing and retail businesses
- Demonstrable knowledge of the use of business intelligence to drive retail, product development and customer engagement.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the use of Agile methods to deliver BI.
- Demonstrable knowledge of principles of business change management
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues to different audiences from technologists to senior stakeholders.
- Ability to build rapport and influence through collaborative leadership.
- Ability to negotiate through conflict.
- Occasional travel to SIE sites within the US (e.g. San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles) and overseas will be required (London and Tokyo)
- Educated to degree level (desirable)
- TOGAF 9.2 certified (desirable)
- AWS Architecture Certification (desirable)
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.