C++ Programmer [Scalar]
Do you have an interest in how cloud tech is shaping the games of tomorrow? Would like to work alongside likeminded programming experts on transforming traditional game engines to the cloud?
As a C++ Programmer, you’ll work on Ubisoft Scalar - a new foundational technology leveraging the possibilities of cloud computing to enable unprecedented freedom and scale for the games of tomorrow. Ubisoft Scalar take the components and systems of traditional game engines and transforms them into microservices in the cloud – moving from the closed, single-processor systems of today to a distributed model across a potentially unlimited number of machines.
You’ll be part of a team building and deploying core services on a cloud platform for our games. Following a microservice architecture pattern, you will create independent systems that increase scale and depth for simulations of our game worlds. Working in parallel with game teams who make use of this new technology, you will also be working closely with people from other disciplines and follow agile methodologies to drive your work forward.
You’ll get to work with tech like:
- C++: libcurl, openssl, asio, lz4, rapidjson, spdlog, fmt, lz4, gtest, entt, lyra, imgui
- Python: numpy, numba, flask, jinja, sphinx, lz4, opentelemetry, google-cloud-sdk
- Other: docker, clang, visual studio, conan, cmake, gitlab, linux (Debian) and access to Ubisoft’s global innersource community
You’re eager to learn new technologies and love the creative challenge of problem solving in code. You can work independently, but never hesitate to share ideas and collaborate with your colleagues around the world. You’re receptive to feedback and work with your partner studios to deliver the best experience possible. Besides the above, we are looking for someone aligned with our studio’s core values and the following skills and experience:
- Know when to use unit tests and are familiar with test driven development
- Are experienced with debugging on multiple operating systems, including console and/or linux
- Have been working with C++ 20 or newer and have an interest in Python
- Have some experience with cloud platforms and microservices
The following would be a bonus:
- Have professional experience working in/on a modern game engine
Ubisoft Winnipeg is a technology studio with a unique mission: develop new technologies that will change the way we build video game worlds. We are the only Ubisoft studio focused on exploring the unknown to develop technology that empowers game creators at studios around the world to build even better, more immersive worlds across our major brands.
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
What to send our way
- Your resume, highlighting your education, experience, and skills, and anything else (GitHub, examples of projects) you think we might find helpful. Please submit all relevant documents in English.
- A real live person will review your application, in this case Sheena. While we’re doing that, get to know our studio and our team a bit more.
This role is based in our Winnipeg studio, with the opportunity for hybrid or full work from home within Manitoba.