Character Assembly Artist
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Toronto is on the lookout for a talented Character Assembly Artist who has a passion for populating open worlds, wardrobe styling and filling character roles based on art direction with a nuance for visual storytelling through the dynamics of appearances, clothing, and social status. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Oakville, Ontario.
WHAT WE DO
- We design, create, and populate the world with the people that bring the narrative and game play to life, for both our story-driven and online game worlds.
- Our characters are the embodiment of the player’s experiences and their interactions when they play – how they look, feel, and interact with other living things in our game worlds.
- We design in-depth customization and functionality to character assets for the game’s specific needs.
- We work within the engine based digital tools to assemble characters and populate the world, with fundamental basis on observational art creation from reference and an explicit attention to detail and points of interest.
- We are a global team setting the highest standards for the industry across all of our projects.
- Work within the game engine assembling Character population for all of our global titles.
- Collaborate with Art Direction, Lead Artists, and Design teams to complete in-game tasks to achieve production goals, whilst working under your own initiative within our pipeline.
- Work with the Character and Technical Art teams to create balanced, pragmatic and timely solutions to all related technical and aesthetic issues.
- Exceptional aesthetic sensibilities and an ability to work within limitations.
- Strong observational skills and an excellent visual understanding of western culture and demographics.
- An aptitude/experience for using game engines.
- A solid understanding of game pipelines and content creation.
- Highly adaptable to evolving tools, pipelines and works flows.
- A focused appreciation and understanding of fashion and street style, and era-specific culture and demographics as they relate to costuming and look.
- Ability to work with bespoke engine toolsets, defined asset workflows, and contribute to overall character department goals and working practices.
- A detail-obsessed eye for creating and manipulating texture maps, game engine materials and surface patterns.
- Self-motivated and flexible, with excellent communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Ability to work in a self-directed manner and to make timely, well thought-out decisions.
- Positive, solution-oriented individual with a sense of humor and passion for making exceptional game art in a team setting.
- Consistent delivery of high quality art to deadlines: on-spec and on-time.
- Demonstrate an understanding of both human and creature anatomy; garment and clothing drapery and garment construction detailing; and clothing accessories, as they relate explicitly to specific real-world references and individual concepts, mood boards and directed styling cues.
- Great interpersonal skills. Must be able to work closely in a team setting and with other dependent departments.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- 1+ years of development experience as an ambient world artist or character artist.
- General understanding of industry standard 3D modelling packages, such as 3ds Max, Maya, and Modo, as well as Substance Painter for texturing.
- Experience with ZBrush and Marvelous Designer workflows for digital clothing production.
- Strong traditional art fundamentals such as anatomy life drawing, concepts and sculpture.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume, portfolio, and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.