Collision Designer - Temporary (Star Wars Jedi Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they’ll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide.
Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We're looking for a highly skilled Collision Designer who will embrace our philosophy and share his/her hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players. We’re picturing someone who is both knowledgeable and passionate about handling collision for games. If this sounds like you, we're looking forward to seeing your resume!
**This position is a 1-year temporary assignment to start, with potential for longer term employment.**
What you’ll do…
- Collaborate with Designers and Artists to create level collision using Maya and Unreal Engine 4 that matches the visuals.
- Work in Unreal Engine 4 and Maya to create custom level collision.
- Responsible for how the game feels in making sure the collision path for the player is solid and has been tagged with appropriate sounds and navigation flags.
- Actively honor the player experience at all times, understanding the important role collision plays in it.
- Good comprehension of what professionally authored collision "feels like."
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of the game’s design to effectively accomplish tasks.
- Facilitate requests from Design, Art, Engineering and QA.
- Work with production to set a schedule, meet milestones and goals.
- Be responsible for several levels during production while working fast, smart and efficient.
Ideally you will have…
- 3+ years professional experience as a game artist/game designer preferred.
- Strong low poly modeling skills
- Previous QA testing experience is a plus.
- Previous experience with collision detection techniques within a game engine is ideal. (Experience in Unreal and/or on a 3rd person action adventure title is a major plus.)
- Good working knowledge of Maya or Max for production.
- Technical savvy and artistic sensibilities.
- Proactive, self-starting nature.
- Effective time management and strong prioritization skills.
- Passion for making and playing games.
- Shipped AAA games preferred.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.