Concept Artist (Characters)
As a Concept Artist at Ubi MTL, you will lay the groundwork for the artistic team to create the memorable characters and environments players will engage with and enjoy. You will provide the artwork that will serve as references, and guide the visual styling throughout production as all artists work towards a common goal.
You are a visionary, a thinker, a developer and an interpreter of ideas, able to be inspired while also inspiring others. You understand a vision and let your creativity guide you as you freely explore styles and designs in your medium of choice. You’re eager to receive your colleagues’ feedback and enjoy the challenge that comes with the continuous, iterative process of working and reworking your art until you communicate the correct visual design language.
What you’ll do
- Partner with the art director to develop the overall vision of a game (set the tone and ambiance; pitch locations, key moments, emotional contrasts, etc.).
- Produce sketches and quick iterations (digital or paper).
- Create concepts of characters or environments from existing references or from scratch.
- Propose concepts to the artistic team and discuss possibilities.
- Adapt your artwork based on feedback.
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints.
- Refine your concept art to illustration by adding layers of detail.
What you bring
- Experience in concept art in the video game industry or other relevant experience
- Knowledge of digital painting and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max)
- Understanding of art fundamentals: lighting, composition, architecture, anatomy, etc.
- Open-mindedness and flexibility
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (you can share your ideas and explain your creative process)
- A collaborative spirit
- A whole lot of creativity and curiosity
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of finished and preliminary work – seriously, show us your sketches! Attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio.
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, harnessing cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join us on our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.