Concept Artist II, Characters - Unpublished R&D Product
As a Concept Artist at Riot you will bring characters, environments, and creatures to life. Drawing inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will generate ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling and iconic. As a problem solver, first and foremost, you will help come up with visual solutions for game concepts.
As a Concept Artist II, Characters on the Research & Development team, you’ll work on a brand new unpublished AAA game bringing characters to life while also designing other assets and systems that come together to deliver an awesome experience to players. You’ll partner with the Art Director, Art Lead, and the concept team to help build foundational ideas and character concepts that inspire and align the team while working with 3D artists, animators, and VFX artists to help them visualize and execute in a manner that is cohesive with the project's style and direction. You will also work collaboratively with designers, writers, and producers to bring new worlds and characters to life. You will report directly to the Art Director.
- Ideate and create character concepts and character sheets. concepts, and miscellaneous prop and digital asset designs for the project
- Communicate diverse and interesting personalities through character design
- Create unique, well-defined base silhouettes, while keeping future customization and personalization systems in mind
- Work with the Art Director and team to define and design character customization systems as well as unique and interesting personalization asset designs for the project (including those that can be prototyped in 3D and meets Riot Insight’s requirements for audience resonance testing)
- Discover and incorporate interesting trends and non-traditional references to push the creative innovation of the project
- Collaborate with artists on the team as well as contractors and other external partners by providing and receiving feedback and clear creative goals
- 3+ years of professional experience working as a concept artist in the games industry or equivalent
- Professional experience and familiarity working in character design
- Proficiency in Photoshop and other relevant concept art tools
- Proficiency in executing concept art fundamentals such as composition, design, color, anatomy and perspective
- Professional experience using 3D tools (i.e. Blender, Maya, 3DS Max, etc.)
- Professional experience working in various game platforms, especially mobile
- Understanding of Asia and SEA markets and/or experience working with equivalent markets
- Professional experience with streetwear and fashion
When submitting your application, please provide a portfolio of your high-quality concept art - including stylized artwork. And as a part of the application process, you may also be asked to complete an art test.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.