Counter-Extremism Operations Lead
As the Counter-Extremism lead, you will help ensure that Discord is a safe space for everyone to find belonging. You will demonstrate project and people management skills, and a meaningful understanding of the abuse space. You will report to Specialized Team Lead.
What you'll be doing
- Protect and serve our communities by managing and scaling our Counter-Extremism team
- Oversee projects from ideation to implementation across the wider Discord organization
- Review and evaluate agent conduct to ensure compliance with internal policies around enforcing our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines.
- Identify and investigate emergent extremist threats that potentially impact the platform
- Work cross-functionally with multiple teams to address high-harm cases that involve or overlap with violent extremism and civic disruption
- Utilize deep subject matter expertise and quantitative and qualitative methods to identify gaps across teams, develop root cause analyses, and enact continuous improvements in response to changing circumstances
What you should have
- 4+ years experience working in counter-terrorism, violent extremism, civic disruption, or related subtopics
- 2+ years of demonstrated people management
- Project management skills and experience driving global cross-functional collaboration
- Experience analyzing and mitigating high-impact threats and online threat actors, with a track record of managing tactical & strategic initiatives resulting in measurable change
- Experience managing intel vendors and/or other external sources
- Experience coordinating with diverse external stakeholders, including GIFCT and law enforcement
- Fluency in more than one language
- Fluency in SQL and/or Python
- Experience with scaled content detection and enforcement workflows
- Post-secondary degree and/or certificate in relevant subfield
- In-depth knowledge of internet and gaming culture and trends.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $117,000 to $126,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!