Creature Technical Director - Wētā Digital
Weta Digital are looking for a Creature Puppet TD to join our innovative Creatures team
The puppets team is a small group with diverse skills and backgrounds. Our responsibilities range from low level code through build systems and UIs. We produce "generic" yet highly customizable puppets using proprietary software and provide tooling to allow them to be configured for characters on all Weta Digital shows. We are also responsible for pipelining and end user support of deliveries.
What you’ll be doing
- Improving the pipeline for puppet builds and delivery
- Developing custom tooling and GUIs for customers including Creature TDs and Animation
- Building additional puppet archetypes
- Help shape the next wave of development to expose our building units to the Creatures department
What we’re looking for
- Relevant work experience in VFX, Feature Animation, Games and/or other commercially related industries
- Linux experience
- Strong programming and UI/UX abilities (preferably Python & C/C++ experience and PyQT)
- Being able to communicate effectively, work collaboratively and give and receive constructive feedback will be critical to your success in this role
- You’ll have excellent time keeping skills and strive to maintain a resilient and constructive workspace within your team
You might also have
- Strong mathematical skills (Mathematics degree)
- Strong rigging skills
- Production experience rigging Creatures, Characters, Vehicles and/or other Mechanical assets
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.