Designer: Open World Events
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar San Diego is looking for talented developers with a passion for game design and making open world content. You will be working as a member of the design team with a focus towards exploration and interactive open world content. You will be required to engage with a variety of teams and departments across Code, Art, and Animation. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar's state of the art studio in Carlsbad.
WHAT WE DO
- Our team creates a wide variety of open world and exploratory experiences.
- We work closely with other designers to develop and iterate on ideas.
- We carry out frequent internal playthroughs to review and further develop content.
- The nature of our tools allows for very quick turnaround and iteration on ideas, whether this be prototyping something new entirely or working in an exciting new idea into existing content.
- Our content often requires us to work closely and communicate with a very wide range of other departments within the company, such as Art, SFX, VFX, Script, Code, Animation, Writing, etc. to help develop and implement assets from these departments.
- Creative thinking is an important part of what we do, and while we work to design briefs, designers have many opportunities to shape our content from the ground up.
- Work with the global design team to implement new content as well as improve existing content.
- Learn about and adhere to our internal systems, software and processes.
- Liaise with multiple departments and studios within VFX, SFX, Animation, Code, and Script to create and/or extend our content.
- Prototype ideas for new content.
- Play and provide constructive / detailed feedback through notes or bugs, checking that the design is being implemented as expected in game.
- Develop and maintain design documentation that clearly details the goals and processes of the content as well as communicating asset requirements from other departments.
- A Computer Science or Game Design degree is considered an advantage; however, relevant experience is taken into consideration.
- 1 or more years of game design experience.
- An online portfolio with examples of your work.
- Experience using Unreal or similar game development tools.
- Excellent communication, technical & problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized with proven ability to deliver on deadlines.
- Passionate about open world content and methodologies that will support a team that is similarly passionate about creating games.
- Candidates must be highly motivated, positive, and personable, with the ability to work as part of a team and inspire others.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work based on changing schedules and feedback/critiques with a detail-obsessed eye for quality.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Prior experience working in medium to large sized development teams.
- Experience programming/scripting with C#.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, race, or any other protected category.
The pay range for this position in San Diego at the start of employment is expected to be between the range below* per year. However, base pay offered is based on market location, and may vary further depending on individualized factors for job candidates, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an "at-will position" and the company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation or benefit program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.