Director, Applied Science
Twitch is the world's biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It is where thousands of communities come together for whatever, every day.
We're about community, inside and out. You'll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We're on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we're up to on LinkedIn and Twitter, and discover the projects we're solving on our Blog. Be sure to explore our Interviewing Guide and Instagram channel to learn how to ace our interview process.
About the Role
Twitch is looking for a Director of Applied Science to lead our Community Discovery machine learning (ML) engineering and science teams, reporting directly to Twitch's VP of Community Products Engineering. You will lead the development of next-generation recommendations and search systems using state-of-the-art ML techniques, you will launch and iterate new products that serve our community’s discovery needs, and you’ll oversee work from a world class team of engineers and scientists. You will apply your experience running organizations through scaled leadership to ship large projects with complex components at high quality. You will partner with product, design, and program leadership to deliver a vision to transform how Twitch’s creators build their communities through powerful discovery products.
You can work remote or in San Francisco, CA; Irvine, CA; Seattle, WA; New York, NY; and Salt Lake City, UT.
- Manage engineering and applied science teams to build and maintain quality software and models
- Champion tech best practices which balance operational standards with pace of innovation
- Collaborate with cross-functional peers to create roadmaps, set goals, and report progress
- Explain the complex technical work of your team to senior leadership and non-technical audiences
- Accelerate career development and nurture growing engineering and science talent
- Foster a work environment that is inclusive and welcoming to diverse perspectives
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering or applied science manager at a similar scale company
- 6+ years of overall technical experience, with experience working on data-driven products with ML components
- Demonstrated team building skills, including coaching and motivating staff members to work together
- Experience shipping products and incorporating quantitative / qualitative feedback from customers
- 4+ years of people management experience including managing managers
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, or a related field
- Experience with AWS and big data technologies
- Knowledge of recommendation or search algorithms and systems
- Experience with iterative, Agile development methodologies (including scrum)
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW8234
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from our lowest geographic market up to our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.twitch.tv/jobs/en/#learn-more. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.