Director of Engineering, Data Platform
Twitch is the world’s biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It’s where millions of people come together to chat, interact, and make their own entertainment.
We’re about community, inside and out. You’ll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We’re on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we’re up to on LinkedIn and Twitter, get interviewing tips on Instagram, and discover projects we’re solving on our Blog.
About the Role
Twitch's Data Platform organization evolves the technology that powers data-driven operation for the entire company. Reporting to the Data Platform VP of Engineering as a Director of Engineering, Data Platform, you will partner with other engineering managers, technical program managers, and the product management to inform your projects' product direction and translate product vision into an executable engineering roadmap to fulfill Twitch's expanding needs for new data infrastructure.
You will manage engineers responsible for building, evolving, and transforming an event ingestion system handling trillions of weekly events, a multi-petabyte data lake, and numerous complex applications on top which supply your customers with uninterrupted access to clean data and insights. You will be responsible for enabling outcomes for a diverse set of business partners, ranging from executives reporting engagement data to Amazon, to data scientists generating insights for product managers, to applied scientists building livestream recommendations for Twitch viewers, making sure our data ecosystem is privacy compliant and more.
You are experienced in the data space at consumer web scale, you bring awareness of the industry's cutting edge, and lead with empathy. If this sounds accurate, come join us! This position can be located in our San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; Denver, CO; New York, NY; Irvine, CA; Salt Lake City, UT or US-Virtual.
Please consider the responsibilities detailed below to be a mix of expectations and opportunities. We don't expect everyone to already be great at everything. Everything sounds great except for one or two things? Please ask about them. Want to support our team without being on it? Please consider other data roles at Twitch.
- Encourage others to do excellent work through your leadership.
- Attract, grow, and retain excellent software engineers.
- Extend, scale, and redefine the Twitch data platform.
- Partner with the group director to inform the mission, vision, and strategy of the team.
- Work with teams from across the company on Twitch-wide programs such as Central Tech Initiatives.
- Gather feedback from customers to determine prioritization of engineering work.
- Advocate for the team and its technology, both in person and in writing
- 5+ years of professional software development.
- 2+ years as an engineering manager or team lead.
- 1+ years working with task management tools such as Jira.
- Experience hiring and developing engineers under your guidance.
- Experience gathering feedback from customers to inform engineering prioritization.
- Knowledge of AWS services, open source technologies, and industry best practices regarding big data.
- Awareness of consumer privacy regulations and their impact on technology design.
- You have made petabytes of data quick and easy to work with.
- Knowledge of A/B testing methodologies and experience building A/B capabilities.
- Experience implementing Privacy controls in a mature data stack.
- Experience using and managing Amazon Web Service (AWS) services.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The base pay range for this position in Colorado, Connecticut, Washington and New Jersey is $220,100 - $297,700 (hr/yr) and in New York City is $242,100 - $284,800 (hr/yr). Pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on payment and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Applicants should apply via Twitch's internal or external careers site.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW7866