Director of Engineering - Real Time Communications
Twitch is the world’s biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It’s where millions of people come together to chat, interact, and make their own entertainment.
We’re about community, inside and out. You’ll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We’re on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we’re up to on LinkedIn and Twitter, get interviewing tips on Instagram, and discover projects we’re solving on our Blog.
About the Role
Enable rich, multi-party real-time media experiences for our Creator Community as part of our nascent Real Time Communications team at Twitch.
As a Director of Engineering for Real Time Communications, you will lead the engineering group responsible for the development and operation of our global, interactive latency media data plane. You and your team will work with Product to deliver features specific to this domain and define a strategic vision for the intersection of traditional internet broadcasting and low latency audio and video technologies. You will ensure that your team has the personal and technical support to use their strengths, operate in harmony, and achieve their plans. You will report to the Senior Director of Engineering, Video Ingest.
This position is located in the San Francisco, Bay Area.
- Develop vision, strategy and roadmap for the group working collaboratively with Product and adjacent engineering teams.
- Achieve an excellent product experience for our customers
- Mentor contributors to create a healthy and well-performing team
- Build an operationally mature, global Real Time Communications system
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 12+ years of combined software development and management experience across multiple languages and frameworks
- 2+ years of experience managing a large scale media system
- Experience with low latency media technologies (WebRTC, QUIC, SIP, RTP, etc) and computer networking
- Experience working with Product, Client and Data partners
- Experience recruiting, mentoring, and retaining a motivated diverse team.
- Expertise in data analysis and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience building and scaling services using Amazon Web Services
- Experience building production native (desktop, mobile) client applications
- Experience excelling in ambiguous situations with high level of autonomy
- Experience with audio and video signal processing
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW7290