Director of Technical Accounting & Financial Reporting
Discord is seeking a Director of Technical Accounting & Financial Reporting for a hands-on role where you'll be responsible for the more technical aspects of US GAAP including establishing high quality internal and external financial reporting. Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer, this role will be a trusted business partner on accounting and SEC matters and key member of the finance leadership team.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage all aspects of financial reporting including preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements, analysis, and disclosures that meet SEC standards (10Qs,10Ks, and S-1) as well as support internal management reporting needs.
- Partner cross functionally with Finance, Legal, and other Accounting teams to drive continuous improvements in business analysis, systems, processes and controls that will enable public company readiness.
- Identify, research, and document the Company's technical accounting matters and provide operational accounting support for complex areas such as equity, capitalized software development, goodwill and intangibles, etc.
- Oversee coordination of annual audit and quarterly reviews; proactively address non-standard or technical accounting issues with auditors to ensure timely resolution.
- Draft, update and maintain the Company’s accounting policies, educate the broader accounting team on application of policies and drive the implementation of any changes in policies or adoption of new US GAAP standards.
- Lead due diligence, purchase accounting, finance integration, and stakeholder engagement associated with mergers and acquisitions.
You will thrive in the role if you have
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting; CPA license required
- 10+ years of accounting / financial reporting experience, 3+ of those years in public accounting
- Expertise in US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements with an ability to research and interpret technical accounting guidance.
- A proactive approach to problem identification and solution implementation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to partner cross functionally beyond finance and accounting
- Superior attention to detail
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!