Engineering Manager, Game Backend Services
We believe that the world is better with more creators in it.
One way we’re supporting creators at Unity in Edinburgh is by building a suite of products that help games developers and publishers build, manage, and grow live games. For example, we are building a collection of Game Backend Services, allowing game studios of any size to easily add Economy, Leaderboards, Cloud Save, Multiplayer and much more to their games in just a few lines of code. We want developers to spend their time and energy creating fantastic games, rather than re-inventing the wheel.
We’re looking for a solution-oriented, people-first, Engineering Manager to build a brand-new team by hiring highly skilled engineers and moving toward building our scalable backend gaming services. You will be working within the team that works on services including Leaderboards, with an opportunity to influence key projects and help shape the future of the Gaming Services Platform.
What you’ll be doing
- Build and foster a team culture that is positive, encouraging, inclusive, and engaging.
- Develop and grow your colleagues, and work deeply with them to achieve their potential
- Drive day to day execution and delivery of tasks by using Lean and Agile methodologies, and motivating your team by explaining how their work relates to the wider business context
- Foster strong collaboration with neighbouring Engineering teams, as well as Product, Design, and Data folk to develop high-quality, focused products, that enable our users to have a consistently great experience across all Unity services
- Continuously improve your people management, engineering knowledge, leadership and collaboration skills, utilising all the Learning and Development courses and support we provide
What we’re looking for
- Previous job experience as a software engineering manager or development lead and serving as line manager for small to medium sized teams
- Experienced with software engineering best practices and bringing a disciplined approach to testing and driving reductions in technical debt
- Customer focused, with ability to offer input on high level solutions to customer problems that helps drive product roadmap
- Comfortable operating with a high level of autonomy and accountability
- Desire to work in a team, learn from others, and help others to learn
You might also have
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges that come with building distributed, highly available, and scalable cloud based systems
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.