Executive Producer - R&D Office, Shanghai Game Studio
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As an Executive Producer (EP) at Riot Shanghai focused on game development, you’ll lead a passionate, multi-discipline development team to create a genre-defining experience for a global gaming audience. Leading engineers, artists, game designers and other producers, you’ll inspire creativity, oversee development, and take a game from an idea to a live player experience.
As an Executive Producer on the Research & Development team, you’ll report directly into the Riot R&D Office. On an R&D team, you’ll help concept, deliver and innovate the game at every stage of development. You are required to make thoughtful and urgent decisions about product direction as it relates to player needs and your audience. You’re obsessed with understanding how the needs of the audience, the direction of the business, and the health of the team are translated into action.
An EP within Riot R&D must have a deep understanding and passion for making games, ability to assess and take risks, build effective development environments, and performance manage an entire product. The EP is directly accountable for the holistic product strategy & vision, overall product results, and curating / managing an effective leadership team at scale
Furthermore, this candidate must be able to communicate effectively with Global R&D to ensure that Riot is aligned on R&D strategy, game progress, and market opportunities.
Product Vision and Strategy
- Lead the R&D team in the development and evolution of the game’s vision and strategy
- Deeply understand the game’s audience and ensure the product strategy matches the needs of the audience
- Ensure key game features and product choices further the strategic vision of the product
- Monitor product outcomes and drive any necessary pivots to the product roadmap in service of delivering on product commitments
- Effectively prioritizes product and team decisions at the organizational level and orchestrate product level strategic pivots based on analysis of data and new information
- Holistically responsible for a game from ideation, prototype, pre-production and beyond, directing all aspects of game development
Team Development and Execution
- Build a high functioning team of developers to execute the strategic vision of the product
- Manage the team’s overall execution strategy, identifying critical path issues, removing roadblocks, and driving efficiency and accountability in execution
- Lead the team to excellence, while fostering a positive team culture and an environment that motivates developers to bring their best effort at all times
- Continuously assesses team and leadership capabilities to ensure that the product teams are set up for success
- Encourage a learning environment in which constructive feedback is given and the entire team is constantly developing a deep understanding and empathy for our players which you’ll use to make player-focused decisions
Effective Communication with Stakeholders
- Able to clearly and concisely describe product direction, pivots, and milestones with Riot executive leadership
- Build trust and collaborate effectively with other executive producers and department heads at Riot to manage the product, talent, IP, and strategic portfolio of Riot
- Inspires confidence in the product (internally and externally) via product understanding and communication ability
- 4 - 10 years + experience leading a major games studio / operating as an Executive Producer on a game made / developed in China
- Entrepreneurial mindset and organization development skills. Has built a creative organization OR game project team from the ground up.
- History of hiring / recruiting and building game teams
- Able to understand and embrace Riot’s development principles and effectively translate those values into the China R&D organization.
- Fluent in both Chinese and English. Strong communication and collaboration. The ability and willingness to provide constructive feedback to other senior leaders, advocate for a strategic direction, and create transparency into how games in the R&D China pipeline are performing.
- Able to instill a healthy and strong growth mindset within an entire organization.
- Experience leading and functioning in ambiguous, collaborative environments with team members of several levels and disciplines
- Experience maintaining excellent relationships with stakeholders
- Strong empathy of China / Chinese players, and deep understanding of Chinese development trend / market.
- Proven track record of driving collaboration between different teams / different cultures (esp. China vs. Western markets). Experience working in a multiple culture environment (like MNC) will be a plus.
- Strong network in China game development market with great reputation
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).