Game Designer 1
Game Designers are responsible for devising what a game consists of and how it plays, following the vision of the Creative/Game Director. They plan and define all the elements and components of a game, including its setting, structure, rules, story flow, characters, objects, vehicles, and devices available to the characters; interface design; and game modes.
Originality and creativity are valued, but a thorough knowledge of a game’s target audience and the market is equally if not more important. Game Designers should also have a deep understanding of the capabilities and benefits of different hardware platforms (e.g. Mobile, PC, console,), as well as familiarity with software technologies and techniques appropriate to each platform.
It is the Game Designer’s responsibility to ensure that the whole team understands and shares the original concept and vision of the game as outlined by the Creative/Game Director. During development, the Game Designer adjusts the original specification to respond to technical constraints and to incorporate new programming and art creation methods developed by the team. The Game Designer also trains testers to play the game, making sure that they understand what is expected of the finished product.
- Work with multi-disciplined teams including Producers, Artists, Programmers, Marketing, and other Leads to drive the team’s understanding of the project’s vision
- Develop and maintain level design documentation, including but not limited to mechanics, guidelines, and gameplay outlines
- Plan and define all the elements and components of a game, including its setting, structure, rules, story flow, characters, objects, and peripherals available to the characters, interface design, and game modes
- Develop Prototypes in any tool of preference to prove design concept to team and iterate. - Contribute by bringing new ideas to the table regarding every facet of the game
- Coordinate with Leads to ensure that level design documentation and implementation are realistic and remain on schedule; participate in regular, hands-on interaction with Producer and Software Engineers to ensure that the concepts and content of assigned games meet design requirements
- Lead assigned development team to define the creative vision, technical specifications, fun factor, and product content for assigned products
- Establish, maintain, and enhance relationships with internal and external creative resources
- Establishes focus groups; trains testers to play the game, making sure that they understand what is expected of the finished product
Skills and Experience:
- 4+ years of game design experience
- Experience working on mobile F2P games from concept through live service
- Experience working on F2P RPG/JRPGs/ Battle Arenas/ MMO/ CCG is a bonus
- A deep understanding of F2P RPG/JRPGs/ Battle Arenas/ MMO/ CCG is expected
- Serious passion for games and able to break down and articulate their strengths and weaknesses
- Designed and developed major game systems for at least one shipped mobile title
- Demonstrable content creation skills
- Outstanding self-motivation and initiative in a highly dynamic environment
- Creatively, analytically, and organizationally skilled with proven ability to write, communicate and maintain detailed design documentation throughout the game life cycle.
- Demonstrative proof of an open-minded, upbeat, progressive thinker who is flexible, energetic, and driven with the ability to overcome obstacles and challenges with working solutions
- Remain current on industry trends including new game genres, new game design methods, and emerging platforms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A degree/ diploma in Game Design or equivalent is preferred, but not required
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g., Lua, Python, TypeScript) is a bonus
- Experience working with licensed products is a plus.