Game Designer - CA Sofia
We are looking for a Game Designer to join our talented and motivated professionals working on exciting new projects in the Total War universe at our studio in Sofia, Bulgaria.
You'll become part of a world-class development team working on a title in the award-winning Total War series. And you will be able to offer insights that drive the way our projects are shaped and directly influence our players’ gaming experience.
You will develop and champion game features that provide immersive and engaging gameplay experiences, applying your expertise to designing both game systems and the content that leverages these systems to the greatest effect.
Beyond conceptual and technical skills, you must have a strong game design intuition, the capacity to understand and iterate upon gameplay aesthetics and “feel”.
Please note that a motivation letter is required for this position and applications without such will not be considered.
As a Game Designer, you will take full ownership and responsibility for multiple features and ensure they are delivered to the highest quality. This is to include researching, documenting, creating, implementation, balancing and more.
You will collaborate with the design team to create detailed feature designs and will work closely alongside developers from other disciplines in order to ensure that the features you are responsible for are developed to the highest standard, from initial concept to final release.
Responsible for creating and maintaining fun and balanced features, you will also clearly communicate regular updates to the relevant discipline teams – especially where your work directly impacts them - and must be proactive in communicating progress and solving problems.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Some Games industry knowledge and experience - understanding the process of developing and delivering a game
- Demonstrable ability to analyze gameplay features, identify strengths and weaknesses, and to recommend improvements
- Experience using Excel and ability to balance large sets of numbers, for unit balance, progression systems etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; can communicate clearly and concisely in English and Bulgarian
- Wide-ranging experience playing a variety of video games, interested in why things work
- Ability to listen and be open to feedback and integrating that into your work
- Shipped titles or personal projects, board game designs etc.
- Deep understanding of Total War games
- Deep understanding of games in the Strategy genres (Grand, RTS, 4X etc.)
- Modding experience
- Experience scripting in LUA
- Knowledge of and interest in history
- Experience in using metrics to improve design
- Great attention for detail and strong visual sense
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within the country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Additional medical and dental health insurance for you, your partner and kids, life insurance, and free health care screening
- Additional holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all Bulgarian Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, soft drinks and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Office massages
- Discounts for home technology and for gym membership cards, as well as Food and Utilities vouchers
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer and Christmas parties, Children’s day party, wrap parties for game releases