Game Designer II, Console Combat - VALORANT
As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
VALORANT is Riot's take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). There are millions of players excited to play VALORANT if only it was available on their platform of choice. As a Combat Designer for Console, you will help improve the design of core combat systems on consoles. You will uphold design principles that define VALORANT on PC while transforming it into the definitive tactical shooter for Console. You will adapt the challenging PC gameplay to better meet the needs and expectations of console players. You will report to the Lead Console Combat Designer.
- Design gameplay systems that make VALORANT the definitive tactical shooter on consoles
- Work with other disciplines to take content and features from conception to our players' hands.
- Script and prototype shippable content and features
- Seek opportunities for new design spaces in collaboration with Product Managers and Design Leadership.
- Create and provide multiple potential designs and solutions. Articulate trade-offs and risks between different options.
- Playtest VALORANT and help push for continued improvements for existing designs and fresh prototypes.
- Work with the playerbase on all relevant platforms and understand the nuanced differences between them.
- 3+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online competitive game
- Can create complex systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects
- Deep familiarity with FPS games or competitive games
- Can use existing frameworks to develop novel solutions and reverse-engineer designs
- Experience working as a developer on an FPS title on console.
- Understanding Tactical FPS principles and can apply them.
- Experience with console FPS market and player motivations and behaviors
- Can quickly produce a wide range of mechanics solutions, and create and identify an excellent solution
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.