Founded in 1986, Codemasters has a long-standing reputation as one of the premier game developers in the industry. At the heart of Codemasters is the official Formula One game ™, one of the most critically acclaimed sporting franchises of the last decade. Our Global team brings together a diverse and talented team including artists, engineers, and designers who are driven by a passion for creating exceptional gaming experiences.
As a member of our team, you'll have the chance to contribute to the latest instalments of this award-winning game and help us raise the bar even higher. With a strong focus on innovation, engagement, and attention to detail, we aim to continually evolve the ultimate Formula 1 experience for players everywhere. Our mission is to be the world's number one racing games developer – join us for the road ahead!
We're looking for a Gameplay Designer to join us! Working in a passionate close-knit team with other designers, engineers, and content creators, you'll help continue to grow and enhance the F1 series. This role is based in our Birmingham studio, however we are also able to support remote working.
- Reporting directly to a senior member of the design team, you will work together to design important gameplay features and systems.
- Maintain existing design documents to keep them up to date and communicate changes to numerous team members, including other designers, engineers and QV.
- Maintain mathematical simulations relevant to important 'number heavy' features.
- You will undergo iterative balancing processes proven out by extensive self-playtesting of features.
- You will analyse feedback from a variety of sources.
- Evaluate more subjective areas of the game, including the core driving experience, helping promote enhancements.
- Keep up to date with the latest design techniques and methodologies and suggest ways in which they can be applied to our processes.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience of a full game dev cycle within a "AAA" studio in a design position.
- Fantastic written, mathematical and Excel skills.
- Knowledge and interest in the racing genre.
- Problem solving and game balancing skills.
- A working knowledge of PC, PS4/5 and Xbox Series, X/S platforms.
Additional Skills and Experience:
- Interest in Formula 1 or motorsport in general.
- Knowledge of basic vehicle handling assist characteristics such as Traction Control and ABS setup.
- Knowledge of different input devices.
- Experience with source control software and systems.
- Skills with other tools (image manipulation, wireframing, flow diagrams).