Global Head of Competitive Operations
The Esports team is focused on delivering amazing fan experiences through our global events and regional competitions. Our professional and semi-professional competitive tiers in League of Legends, VALORANT and Wild Rift involve thousands of players and hundreds of organizations competing every week. While these players are not employees of Riot, we expect everyone involved in our sports to uphold our values and to be positive role models for fans everywhere.
As our Global Head of Competitive Operations, you will be responsible for leading Riot’s competitive operations team. You will manage Rioters in the global competitive operations group, who are responsible for crafting the shape and structure of our sports and managing the execution of our major global events. You will work closely with other senior leaders in competitive operations across the globe to define craft excellence across rules and compliance, ecosystem development and match operations - to set high standards so that we maintain our role as the leading esports publisher irrespective of genre or region. This role reports to the Head of Global Esports Operations.
- Oversee all aspects of competitive operations - rules and compliance, ecosystem development and match operations - across Riot’s portfolio of esports
- Set standards of excellence and provide best practices to our various regional leagues and offices
- Manage the global competitive operations team
- Coordinate efforts between regional competitive operations leads
- Provide support for your team as they tackle the most challenging competitive operations problems
- Create long term, scalable policies that levels up competitive operations across regions and across games
- Work closely with product teams to shape our long term product strategy via ecosystem development
- Collaborate with legal teams to ensure we create thoughtful, long-term policies that are compliant with local governmental regulations
- Develop relationships with other entities (leagues, publishers, etc.) in this space and represent Riot externally within the industry
- 12+ years in esports operations, sports operations, sports litigation, or a similar field
- Prior experience managing strategic initiatives and building impactful practices in gaming, entertainment, and/or professional sports leagues or similar
- 7+ years in a management position, with experience building and overseeing a team
- Track record of global collaboration
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Experience working cross-functionally on multiple work streams with both internal & external teams
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and effectiveness in communicating across all levels of an organization
- Track record of successfully working as part of a team, in a fast-paced office environment
- Proven track record of working closely with and influencing senior executives
- Able to handle ambiguity and work under tight deadlines
- Juris Doctorate
- Knowledge of the global esports ecosystem
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $245,000 USD - $367,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.