Graphics and USD Architect
Who Are We
Unity Engine is used by millions of creators around the world to create powerful and engaging real-time experiences! At the heart of this is graphics, from the initial point of content creation down to the final pixels on the target device.
On the journey to democratize best-in-class tools to help artists become superheroes through the power of intuitive workflows and fast iteration, Unity is passionate about bringing the advanced capabilities of Wētā Digital’s tools to the real-time domain to define the future of real-time and content authoring. Our rendering innovation group is focused on refining and inventing new technologies to drive the edge of what’s possible in Unity and in the industry for complex scene rendering in real-time. With an eye toward the future, we relentlessly pursue solutions for novel techniques seeking to improve the content creators’ experience for real-time 3D.
As a Graphics and Universal Scene Description Architect, you are going to be in a unique position of working alongside some of the most forward-looking technologists in the industry helping to advance the representation of data format in Unity, working with the USD and helping evolve the format forward for the needs of real-time content. In this role, you will be responsible for aligning the overall vision and architecture of USD for Unity’s artist tools ecosystem. You will join forces with the product teams to help define a successful landing path for the USD architecture designed for the artist tools throughout Unity’s creation ecosystem and with that, you’ll be leading to ensure they have real impact on the lives of millions of Unity creators!
Does this sound exciting?
What You’ll Be Doing
- Design, coordinate cross-departmental approval, implement, maintain, and document new USD schemas, file format plugins, and other USD extensions to support integration with the DreamWorks pipeline and toolset
- Coordinate with production and R&D partners to deploy and integrate new USD features, asset model changes, and pipeline tools
- Supervise the public development of USD and coordinate and advocate for production adoption of new USD versions and schemas
- Coordinate open-source releases of Unity’s USD schemas or tools if any and pull requests to the USD project
- Analyze and iteratively improve Unity’s Artist tools USD representation to support new USD features, new schemas, and updated requirements of content creation
What We Are Looking For
- Passionate rendering enthusiasts who are good humans and care to work in a collaborative, supportive, thriving team
- Deep understanding of USD and using USD to drive feature production pipelines
- Extensive knowledge of graphics and content creation workflows for VFX or real-time content creation pipelines
- Excellent familiarity with the modern engine systems and rendering architectures and experience of working on real-world productions including 5+ years of professional VFX/Animation pipeline and/or games production development experience
- Mentor and provide expert guidance and leadership for USD architecture in the field within Unity and with the industry at large
You Might Also Have
- Familiarity with commercial Animation / VFX tools DCC’s (Maya, Houdini, etc)
- First-hand experience with content creation pipelines for graphics content and working with artists on real-world productions
- In-depth knowledge of photorealistic rendering techniques (Physically-Based Rendering, Real-Time Ray Tracing, Global Illumination, Computational Geometry, MIS, and more)
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.