Head of Business Affairs and Operations - Music & Events
At Riot, we work every day to make it better to be a player. But being a player doesn't stop at the end of a game anymore. As the gaming landscape continues to collide with entertainment, we're building a new team to bring Riot's IPs to players around the world through music and live events, and invite new audiences into the fold. The Global Music and Events team will acquire and develop original music, virtual and live IP experiences and LBE products that deepen players' and fans' connections to the universe we've created to build a next generation, global entertainment company with gaming at the center.
To support our ambitious efforts we will need to innovate, refine, and expand our business practices and relationships in the music and live entertainment business. As the Head of Business Affairs and Operations, Music & Events, you will report to the Global Head of Music and Events and be their right hand to oversee all business affairs and business operations supporting Riot’s emerging music and live events business. You will also act as a business resource for Riot Entertainment teams globally as we expand around the world.
We are just getting started in this effort and you will play a critical role in how to design and scale the entertainment business within Riot. You will use your comprehensive knowledge of deal making in the music and live business, and long-standing relationships with the rights holders, artist partners, promoters, production companies and business and legal communities to identify and cultivate successful partnerships. You will work with a broad group of internal partners including Riot's franchise development, game development teams, esports, and creative leaders within and outside of Entertainment to scale the music and events business team.
- Oversees all business negotiations and establishing best practice terms for the music and live business at Riot across all content types and platforms
- Work closely with the Global Head of Music & Events, Supervision, Strategic Finance and Operations to develop business strategy and implement the deal making and operating business model for the Music & Events team
- Structure and negotiate agreements for partnerships with creative partners, promoters, production companies, music rights holders, IP licensees and venues
- Oversee and advise Riot legal team in finalizing long form agreements and liaising with partners as needed to secure best in class terms throughout the process
- Interface on a day-to-day basis with various internal groups (creative, production, finance, marketing/publicity, legal/BD, talent, etc.) and production personnel as needed to advance the goals of the Music & Events team
- Advise on any BA-related matters (including insurance, guild/union issues, integrations, consumer products) both with internal clients and outside production companies
- Analyze, review, and interpret potential partnerships; provide thoughtful advice on potential risks and issues
- Manage all team operations including internal reporting, presentations, strategic business planning, overseeing (and building) internal and external teams responsible for commercial partnerships, label and distribution strategy, rights administration
- 12+ years of hands-on business affairs and senior strategy / operations experience in a music or live events entertainment company
- Knowledge and experience handling local regulations and business norms within a multinational media business
- Have strong organizational and project management skills, allowing many projects to keep moving simultaneously
- Extensive experience in negotiating and establishing terms in all manner of agreements for music and live events
- Strong negotiating skills with the ability to demonstrate sound judgment and business instincts
- Exceptional understanding of live performance, music licensing and copyright agreements and all other music distribution-related and/or IP acquisition agreements
- Collaborative style with proven record of building strong relationships, both internally and externally at all levels.
- Experienced and comfortable working with and advising senior-level business executives
- Ability to build credibility and strong working relationships with other executives and create commitment to goals.
- Experience developing others into great executives.
- Comprehensive knowledge of contemporary global music, live entertainment and gaming.
- Bachelor's degree in related field. JD preferred
- Experience working or in business operations at either a promoter, management company, record label, media company with music and events specialization
- Experience with virtual events/digital platforms
- Experience working on a major video game IP.
- Legal or COO experience at music or live entertainment startups
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $186,000 USD - $260,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.