Head of Creative
Job Title: Head of Creative
Location: SI HQ, Here East, London
Reporting to: Director of Development
As a Head of Creative at Sports Interactive, you will lead a cross functional department tasked with creating designs and concepts for Football Manager across all platforms.
You will be pragmatic and able to evaluate process and individual Designer’s strengths, with a proven ability to adapt, collaborate, and work constructively in solving problems across multiple disciplines. In previous roles, you will have successfully navigated the compromise between achieving the product-vision perfectly, and achieving other important project goals, seeing your project through to successful completion.
As a Design leader in the studio, you will embrace and overcome unique design challenges and help others to do the same, always responding calmly and constructively to shifting priorities, demands and timelines. The ideal candidate should be both creative and detail-oriented, with proven game design experience in a leading capacity and have strong people management skills.
This role reports into the Director of Development with a dotted line to the Studio Director who oversees the creative vision.
- Responsible for the creative output of Sports Interactive titles.
- Providing leadership and mentorship to a creative and diverse team, including hiring, career path development, and growth.
- Partner with the Studio Director to set design strategy within the Studio. Owning process to continually evaluate and update product vision documents for all Sports Interactive titles across all platforms, ensuring that what we’re working towards aligns to the vision at all times
- Encourage a creative team that can contribute to ideas, building and maintaining a team culture that is based around trust, innovation, iteration, learning, collaboration, and sharing
- Work closely with the Design Leadership Team to make decisions that lead to successful and harmonious implementation of assets, mechanics, and features.
- Support the team to ensure that the project vision is reflected in all stages of design and implementation of game mechanics, systems, controls, narrative, and the player experience.
- Enable the design team to consistently perform at their best by providing clear, precise direction with sufficient flexibility for individual creativity.
- Observe the dynamic and workflow of the team. Creatively evolve, adjust, and implement process to ensure success, harmony, and a balanced workload.
- Be a representative of the Creative discipline both internally and externally.
- Interact with all relevant stakeholders to drive timely, seamless, and successful rollouts/launches.
- Must be a team player and a role model for collaboration and inclusivity.
- Proven experience in a management and leadership capacity, heading up a Design function working with multiple game technologies/engines and tools and have a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities each offers.
- Passion and energy for amazing games design.
- A deep understanding of design mechanics and systems, as well as game direction and vision.
- The ability to direct teams in the use of best practices to create robust and well-structured content.
- Used to working closely with product, engineering, and leadership teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- People-centric and nurturing leadership skills, to deal with a wide variety of people and situations, with experience working with large, cross-discipline teams.
- Exceptional organisation and time management skills with the ability to self-manage time and workload.
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
Further information on the company and its gams is available at www.sigames.com.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options dependent on role. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We're able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden, and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI is proudly a Disability Confident Committed employer, and we are dedicated to ensuring our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible. Our studio has disabled access and facilities but please ensure you advise us if you require any other reasonable adjustments to be made to support you during the recruitment process.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.