Head of Studio Operations
Just 13 miles south of Manchester and a 15-minute train journey, is the attractive market town of Wilmslow. Here amongst the boutique shops and independent cafes and bars is the stunning Playdemic studio. Acquired by EA in 2021, Playdemic is home to the top 10 grossing, BAFTA winning mobile smash – Golf Clash. Having opened at the beginning of 2020, our award-winning, bespoke studio space offers conventional desk space as well as indulgent breakout areas, meeting rooms and alternative workspaces. The office has been designed to create an environment that encourages and allows our team to do their very best work.
As the Head of Studio Operations, you will report to the GM, Head of Playdemic and will oversee development execution for our products and you will lead the team of development directors/managers supporting our portfolio of games. This is a leadership role that involves a high level of interaction with studio leadership and staff, product leadership, and development partners. You are the execution expert for Playdemic. The Head of Studio Operations focuses on execution, strategic outcomes, managing around future challenges and making sure all operational aspects of studios are functioning well.
- You will oversee the Development Director discipline; inspire and motivate teams through personal example and enthusiasm.
- You will build a partnership with your game leadership team, establish trust and credibility with studio leadership and EA development partners.
- You will collaborate with the studio leaders to help define our vision, mission, and strategy.
- Help build a development culture of healthy accountability, maximising potential, and pride in accomplishments.
- Ensure the team has the best structure and practices that allow them to produce high-quality work on time, and on budget.
- Strengthen the Development Director discipline for the studio through hiring and mentoring.
- Responsible for the full operational aspects of game development, including establishing development framework, reporting, risk management, capacity planning, resource management and budget.
- Develop, maintain and publish project goals that track project quality, delivery, risk and predictability.
- Establish regular communication with the team to provide project status updates.
- Identify, assign, and track development and operational risks to completion/mitigation.
- You will lead the studio product roadmap, accounting for live operations, title planning, and green light activities.
- Guide process improvement across the studio.
- Guide project planning and execution through our Development Directors, hold teams accountable for meeting milestone commitments and quality targets.
- Report studio status at regular intervals, escalate urgent issues promptly.
- Senior development experience in the software industry.
- Senior operations and leadership experience.
- Experience leading teams, coupled with the ability to oversee projects of varying scope or points in life-cycle (e.g. concept, production, launch and live services).
- Mastery of project management (including Agile methodologies).
- Expertise using Excel (can maintain complex spreadsheets) to track, model, and analyse data to support business strategy.
- Expertise presenting high-impact plans and recommendations to executives.
- High degree of initiative, takes opportunities to make improvements.
- Game development experience (especially full cycle on shipped titles).
- Experience in mobile app development or managing online live services.
- Experience managing remote development.