If you're looking for a challenge and a phenomenal opportunity, you've found it! We're seeking a Paralegal (IP) to join our growing legal team. In this role, you will be a member of the Legal IP Team focusing on a range of matters related to rights acquisition and clearance with respect to the development and release of our industry-leading suite of products. You will assist the IP Team, and work with outside counsel, on clearing IP for our offerings, as well as protecting Unity's IP rights. You will use your experience and knowledge in IP, standard takedown procedures and other enforcement methods, as well as assisting with technology licenses and transactions, NDA's, and other agreements. Success in this position demands experience in or familiarity with copyright, trademark, and trade secrets, as well as intellectual curiosity, strong practical legal skills, technology acuity, passion, a self-starter demeanor, practicality, collaboration and communication. While the focus of this role is on "soft" IP, a basic understanding of patent law is very much welcome!
What you'll be doing
- Work with key business partners, and outside counsel in the prosecution of our trademarks portfolios and copyright registrations, as well as be primary contact for inbound and outbound takedown processes
- Perform IP clearance work for pre-commercialization products and services, and take a proactive role in developing and streamlining those processes
- In cooperation with outside counsel and Legal colleagues, handle internal and vendor IP portfolio tracking and invoicing systems, as well as provide insight on improvements or developments to those systems. Shepherd procurement matters associated with licensing and technology transactions
- Collaborate with Legal colleagues to build and implement practical, accessible compliance structures to help scale the legal function at Unity
- Assist with IP due diligence on M&A transactions
What we're looking for
- Qualified legal professional (paralegal or counsel) with 2+ years' experience in US or other common-law jurisdiction.
- Foundational knowledge in "soft" IP
- Experience in trademark clearance, searches, applications
- IP portfolio management (including invoice tracking and approval) experience and experience with IP assignment forms and agreements.
- Some software licensing and technology transactions experience
- May require some travel
You might also have
- Experience with trademark search tools and brand management vendors, such as MarkMonitor™ and with open source software and audit reporting systems and reports, such as Black Duck®
- Previous copyright application deposit preparation, and/or domain name registration and management experience, familiarity with basic patent law concepts
- Prior in-house experience working with software and/or game development
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.