If you're looking for a challenge and a phenomenal opportunity, you've found it! We're seeking a Paralegal/Junior Counsel (IP) to join our growing legal team. In this role, you will be a member of the Legal IP Team focusing on a range of matters related to rights acquisition and clearance with respect to the development and release of our industry-leading suite of products. You will assist the IP Team, and work with outside counsel, on clearing IP for our offerings, as well as protecting Unity's IP rights. You will use your experience and knowledge in IP, standard takedown procedures and other enforcement methods, as well as assisting with technology licenses and transactions, NDA's, and other agreements. Success in this position demands experience in or familiarity with trademark, copyright, and trade secrets, as well as intellectual curiosity, strong practical legal skills, technology acuity, passion, a self-starter demeanor, practicality, collaboration and communication. While the focus of this role is on "soft" IP (especially trademarks), a basic understanding of patent law is very much welcome!
What you’ll be doing
- Work with key business partners, and outside counsel in the prosecution of our trademarks portfolios and copyright registrations.
- Be primary contact for inbound and outbound takedown processes.
- Perform IP clearance work for pre-commercialization products and services, and take a proactive role in developing and streamlining those processes.
- In cooperation with outside counsel and Legal colleagues, handle internal and vendor IP portfolio tracking and invoicing systems, as well as provide insight on improvements or developments to those systems.
- Shepherd procurement matters associated with licensing and technology transactions.
- Collaborate with Legal colleagues to build and implement practical, accessible compliance structures to help scale the legal function at Unity.
- Assist with IP due diligence on M&A transactions.
What we’re looking for
- Qualified legal professional (paralegal or counsel) with 2+ years' experience in US or other common-law jurisdiction.
- Foundational knowledge in "soft" IP, IP portfolio management (including invoice tracking and approval) experience.
- Experience in trademark clearance, searches, applications.
- Experience with IP assignment forms and agreements.
- Some software licensing and technology transactions experience.
- Experience with trademark search tools and brand management vendors, such as MarkMonitor™.
- Previous copyright application deposit preparation, and/or domain name registration and management experience.
- Familiarity with basic patent law concepts.
- Prior in-house experience working with software and/or game development.
Who We Are
Unity is the creator of the world’s leading real-time 3D development platform, giving users the most powerful and accessible tools to build, operate, and monetize experiences for the real-time world. Unity empowers anyone, regardless of skill level and industry, to build 3D visual content using best-in-class technology, operate using resources that improve ease-of-use, and monetize, so that they can find success with their creations.
The company’s 1,000 person development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners such as Google, Oculus, Autodesk, Microsoft and many more, to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Made with Unity experiences reach nearly 3 billion devices worldwide and have been installed more than 34 billion times in the last 12 months. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to encouraging an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.