Lead Character Modeller
As a Lead Character Modeller at Ubi MTL, you'll guide the creation of the characters players will interact and connect with. You’ll oversee and support a talented team of character modellers in transforming concept designs into the defining people, creatures, and animals that live within our worlds.
You’re a well-rounded team ambassador: an expert communicator, collaboration encourager, and not to mention a skilled artist. You understand the character creation process along with its (at times, many) technical and artistic constraints. You’re able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with other art leads and the art director to discuss and develop the game vision.
- Coordinate and motivate character modellers as they develop and polish their character art throughout the 3D pipeline.
- Organize and run regular team meetings to assign tasks, establish priorities, discuss progress, etc.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards (poly count, memory, etc.).
- Review integrated work, ensuring it’s aligned with the artistic direction and can animate well.
- Provide mentorship and constructive feedback to develop a consistent, quality visual style.
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the industry.
- Participate in recruitment to build and grow your character modelling team.
What you bring
- A college diploma in 3D Modelling, Fine Art, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 5 years of experience in modelling, texturing, or other relevant experience (leadership an asset)
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (3DS Max, Maya, Substance Painter, Marvelous Designer, and ZBrush) *
- Solid understanding of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations
- Excellent mentorship, communication, organization, time management, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Flexibility and a whole lot of resourcefulness
- A highly collaborative, creative, and empathetic spirit
- A super sharp, trained eye for detail
* Knowledge of project management software (e.g. Jira), 3D scanning, and optimization techniques = very nice to have
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
- A portfolio of your best 3D work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
Real live people from our team will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialists Yara & Nicole. As they learn more about you through your profile, get to know them through the videos below.
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.