Lead Encounter Designer (Star Wars FPS)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
In collaboration with Lucasfilm, the Star Wars FPS Team is developing a new AAA FPS in the Star Wars galaxy. Inspired by classic titles like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, our story-driven single player game is being developed from the ground up leveraging the power of Unreal Engine 5. We’re combining this inspiration and technology with Respawn’s pedigree for making best-in-class shooters to deliver a brand new experience our players will love.
We are seeking an experienced Lead Encounter Designer with expertise in combat encounter design and strong leadership skills to join us in creating our new Star Wars First Person Shooter game. You will work with leadership to build an Encounter Design team and develop the processes for creating compelling encounters in levels and across the game. We are looking for someone who thinks about creating engaging FPS encounters from all angles, and how those encounters align with the overall game to create outstanding experiences for our players from start to end.
What you'll do…
- Reporting to the Lead Mission Designer, you will work with leadership and the team to build the encounter design team and establish the project standards.
- Collaborate to establish and evolve the enemy encounters experience in levels, developing the level space, enemy composition, and weapons.
- Help identify the structure of the encounter design team, and then build it!
- Track and review the enemy encounter experience across the entire game.
- Establish and enforce encounter design best practices, constraints, and metrics throughout projects.
- Assimilate and incorporate playtests and feedback to make exciting, accessible, and fun, FPS experiences.
- Have fun with a passionate collaborative team creating a new and exciting Star Wars experience!
Ideally you will have…
- 10+ years' experience in the games industry working in a level design capacity, shipping at least one title including a shipped AAA game.
- People management experience and a desire to guide and develop team members
- Experience working with a game engine (Unreal preferred but not required) with strong understanding of implementation and integration into the pipeline.
- Extensive experience and insight into developing the game environment with an understanding of how the different game systems mix to create an engaging player encounter.
- Practical knowledge of level design process including level flow, engagement, structure, pacing, environmental storytelling, and testing.
- Experience in rapid prototyping to test feasibility of concepts.
- A portfolio with examples and detailed breakdowns of your work, showcasing the above.
- Competency in clearly and effectively pitching game design concepts.
- A team-oriented approach to your work, understanding the importance of collaboration, and partnering with all departments.
- Willingness to master new tools and techniques.
- Passion about the play experience, with a wealth of knowledge across a wide range of games.
- Passion for making and playing games.
- Passion for Star Wars and FPS games is a plus!
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed it.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
US COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the base salary range and benefits for your specific location.
EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
BASE SALARY RANGES
- California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento):
- $129,050 - $204,600
- New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo):
- $127,850 - $204,600
- New Jersey (depending on location e.g. Jersey City vs. Trenton):
- $127,850 - $204,600
- Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs):
- $127,850 - $189,050
- Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane):
- $127,850 - $189,050
Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. We also offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby (following 1 year of service), medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.