Lead Engine Programmer
The Molasses Flood is looking for a Lead Engine Programmer to spearhead a new programming team extending UE5 for our next and future titles. You will have a unique opportunity to build out a team and architect the systems and tools that empower our team to create great games. This is a leadership position, and will involve hiring and managing a team of programmers as well as working across all disciplines to ensure that the engine technologies are meeting the needs of all stakeholders. We’re entering an exciting new chapter in our development, and would love for you to help shape the way we grow!
This is a full-time salaried position, reporting to the Technical Director. This job could be performed either working a hybrid model out of our office in the greater Boston area, or remote within the contiguous US states. Relocation assistance is available for moving to the Boston area. All staff work a schedule aligned to US eastern time, regardless of US location.
- Be in charge of the success and happiness of the engine programming team.
- Mentor and coach the engine programmers.
- Be a primary hub for communication and information that other disciplines can come to for guidance.
- Ensure efficient and timely delivery of core engine features, and speak up when the team is not scoped properly.
- Distill engine support and performance requests into meaningful, actionable work, and delegate to the team effectively.
- Ensure the technical approach being proposed for a given task satisfies both the stakeholder need and meets solid engineering fundamentals.
- Propose architecture and lead the vision for the different engine systems required to deliver on requested functionality and performance.
- Propose tools or technologies that could enhance the ability to deliver great engine systems support.
- Participate in writing code as well. The lead needs to have a direct understanding of the code and the challenges the team encounters.
- Candidates must have a US work permit or citizenship
- Deep knowledge and experience in one or more engine related focus areas including but not limited to rendering, tools, physics, etc.
- Experience developing and shipping multi-platform games professionally.
- Experience leading a team.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to be creative in finding solutions.
- Strong C++ skills and the ability to code and architect engine systems and tools.
- Experience with optimizing for memory and CPU performance.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic, and able to work independently.
- Curiosity, kindness, and a positive and professional can-do attitude.
NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience working in Unreal Engine 5.
- Experience developing for consoles.
- Shipped a multiplayer game.
The expected salary range for this position is $160,000 to $225,000 USD, negotiable. Salary offered will be based upon a number of factors, including but not limited to: skill set, years and quality of experience, and suitability for the role.
What we offer:
- 100% company paid medical, dental, and vision plans available - for employees and dependents
- 401K with matching
- Company paid long & short term disability plans, and life insurance
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO and flexible schedule
- Environmental company paid offset of employees’ carbon footprint via Wren.co
- Some positions available for Remote work
- Positions worked in office are hybrid: M/W/F work from home & T/Th work in office, with lunch provided on the in office days
- Dog friendly office
- Many opportunities for advancement as our team grows and takes on new challenges
The Molasses Flood is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and celebrating diverse thoughts and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at The Molasses Flood is based on ability – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
CA Candidates: TMF abides by all policies set forth in the CCPA/CPRA. For more information, please contact HR or visit the California Privacy Protection Agency website: https://cppa.ca.gov/
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.