Lead Gameplay Programmer (Remote)
New World Interactive is an award-winning game studio dedicated to crafting exciting tactical playgrounds. Our best in class artists, animators and developers have led us to the success in creating games like Insurgency, Day of Infamy, and Insurgency: Sandstorm.
We have set out to explore new horizons and aim to combine our expertise with the best and most forward-thinking talents in the industry. As we work towards launching our newest tactical hardcore shooter game, we are growing our small team and seeking a Lead Gameplay Programmer to lead our talented team of experts by providing exceptional support, mentorship and direction whilst upholding our standard of gameplay excellence.
What you’ll do:
- Manage a team of 10 gameplay programmers - your priority is ensuring team members are on track with production. In addition to your daily sprint tasks, you’ll frequently check-in with your programmers and remove any obstacles they are facing. You will ensure each individual’s unique needs are being supported in order to encourage the strong engagement of your team. Our studio values growth, which requires you to provide your team with excellent mentorship opportunities for them to develop their skills by focusing on their strengths. You’ll share valuable feedback on a regular basis, conduct consistent 1:1’s and lead performance reviews along with the Technical Director.
- Oversee the gaming architecture with the goal of improving future development - you will collaborate closely with the Technical Director to architect and program in a way that makes future games easier to create. You will balance modular design, development, and future thinking with the speed required to meet production deadlines. Having refined your own decision-making abilities as it relates to gameplay programming, you’ll be able to apply and champion these skills with the team. As an example, knowing when to document a bug for later vs. ensure you don’t create technical debt. Because you are up to date with new versions of Unreal Engine, you will know what features are coming online, which ones to experiment with, and ultimately implement.
- Develop code to enhance our networking and animation programming capabilities - when you’re not managing your team, you’ll write code with a goal to make the multiplayer experience as fluent and consistent as possible. You will also collaborate with the Design, Animation and Audio teams to perfect coding for animations that correspond to the game’s logic and algorithms. The percentage of your time you spend coding will vary from 10%-40% of your time in any given week, depending on the needs of the team.
Who you are:
- You're an exceptional people manager - you’re a pro at making your team feel connected, allowing each of them to feel supported in their roles and contributing to the game and the studio as a whole. You have an impressive history of mentoring and leading people because you love to see others develop and grow, and you’re able to hold a boundary when necessary. You love connecting with your team, and don’t mind spending most of your days deepening relationships with them.
- You exemplify accountability - you have no problem being accountable for your team and holding your team accountable. You will do this through ongoing feedback to ensure that your team is constantly improving as they are going. You know the right balance of being fair and firm.
- You set an example for communication - you’re able to provide clear direction during touchpoints, you welcome feedback and guidance from different directions and you’re not afraid to ask for help when needed. Ultimately, you want to provide a platform for members to voice their thoughts, be forthcoming with their questions while empowering them to make their own suggestions.
- You have a track-record of success - your maturity in your profession reflects your intricate level of knowledge of gameplay programming principles and abilities and wide range of video gaming experience. You’ve likely worked at AA or AAA studios and at this point in your career, you’re looking to join a smaller team and have a bigger impact on the screen. You thrive in an environment where people value discussion and conversation without being overly attached to their perspective.
Engine - Unreal
IDE - Visual Studio or Rider
Why Work With Us:
New World Interactive is a medium-sized studio which provides the opportunity to make a large impact on the future of our games. However, we’re owned and funded by a larger entity which means you’ll have the stability and benefits of working for a larger studio. As the Lead Gameplay Programmer you’ll build teams and tools that create a legacy for our future game development. Surrounded by an incredible remote team of hard-working and talented people, you’ll earn a base salary of $130 - 140k CDN. In addition, you will be given a competitive vacation allowance plus an unlimited PTO policy, a complete benefits package that includes health vision, dental, life insurance and more. Candidates outside of the US and Canada will be considered, however may not be eligible for benefits. You will also be given an educational and personal development allowance to go towards your learning and support your wellbeing. We are big on creating a cohesive culture, so we urge you to take part in our wide range of supporting programs.