For its Annecy Production Studio, Ubisoft is looking for a Level Artist to join our teams in charge of developing AAA games
The main and routine tasks of the Level Artist are to:
- Understand the game design documents to know the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style to create game levels;
- Understand the visual references, respect the artistic direction and search for more detailed and specific graphic references for the level(s);
- Understand project tools and their functions, the project file classification system and the process to update engine data and follow all instructions from the Graphic technical director;
- Set out the modelling and texturing needs, submit orders to modellers and texturers responsible for the map; follow up on the progress and quality of the work with the Project leader - Graphic;
- Assess level content with the immediate supervisor and establish time and planning estimates by priority and level;
- Build the rough map of the level with the level designer to show the preliminary graphic intentions, gameplays and ensure they are approved;
- Integrate the objects and textures that are produced into the level, create, assemble the key elements and determine a lighting intention in the map that is in keeping with the artistic direction;
- Act as a resource person for the artistic team for the map and level by answering questions from team members and informing artists of changes due to technical constraints;
- Ensure the technical and artistic quality of the maps once they are imported into the game by making any necessary changes and addressing issues with team members from other working units whenever necessary;
- Oversee optimization and debugging to fix the issues raised by testers;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
- A relevant portfolio of artwork (must include Level/Environment Art and ideally, examples with a fluid/organic nature)
- Experience with PBR pipeline and real-time engines.
- Knowledge of terrain generation software such as Gaea or World Machine.
- Ability to work within an established art style.
- Proven experience working in the games industry with at least one AAA title to your name
- Great technical knowledge of 3D packages, texturing packages, and game engines like Unity/Unreal
- Originality and resourcefulness in problem-solving
- Solid understanding of the workflows required to create an asset from the Blockout stage to final quality, and optimization for real-time rendering
- A good team player, willing to work collaboratively and receive feedback and guidance from the rest of the team.
- Good attention to detail.
- Good 3d modelling skills, preferably in 3DMax and zBrush.
- Strong Substance Designer/Painter and Photoshop texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering.
- Proven experience with the entire game landscape creation pipeline: height field generation, texture masks creation, layered material set up, setting up and exporting to game.
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, ToD lighting and colour.
- A keen eye for spinning narrative and life into an environment.
- Understanding of best working practices in terms of pipeline flow and game optimisation.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
Please apply in english, the hiring manager being non-french speaker.
Ubisoft is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
All information will be treated as confidential in accordance with the Employment Equity Act.
Integrating the Ubisoft French studios also means:
- Join passionate and highly technical teams, all driven by the desire to design and develop innovative games and stand out for their quality
- Collaborate with teams recognized for their experience on renowned franchises
- Develop expertise by participating in in-house sharing events (talks, conferences, trade shows) and benefiting from tailor-made training programs
- Evolve in a leading French videogame company represented in 30 different countries, with opportunities for international development
Check out this guide to help you with your application, and learn about our actions to encourage more diversity and inclusion.