Manager, Software Engineering - Esports
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
The last 12 months have been amazing for esports at Riot. We held our most-watched League of Legends Worlds Championship, and we ran our first global tournaments for VALORANT, Wild Rift, and Legends of Runeterra. On the back of that success, and in our ever-growing dedication to our mission to be the most player focused company in the world, Riot is doubling down on our investment in the esports and fan experience with industry-leading innovations like Project Stryker that will make our ambitions come to life.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As an Engineering Manager at Riot, you’ll take a seat as a mentor for a team of engineers, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability. You’ll also offer creative solutions to organizational design.
As an Engineering Manager within Esports Fandom, you will help lead the delivery of new features and experiences around growing the viewers & players connection to Esports as a whole. These include features like Drops, Collections & Rewards - Mechanisms that have become the foundation of watching esports. Besides leading the team of engineers, you’ll have a strong collaboration with our UI & UX designers, as well as partner-teams within Fandom and Esports.
You will report to the Sr. Engineering Manager of Esports Fandom.
- Develop the teams growth by providing mentorship, overseeing performance management and enabling growth opportunities with impactful outcomes
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust and inspiring them to overcome challenges
- Organize and follow what’s being built and why. Be the standard bearer around execution, quality and technical debt
- Develop and support our drops and rewards infrastructure for esports across all Riot Games
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams within Esports and Riot to strengthen cross-team goals
- Partner with product owners to build and operate features end-to-end including technical discovery, product development, production release and live support
- Invest in team's complete ownership of our products by participating in on-call rotation
- Bring a cool head. Handle tension within and around the team, help to resolve conflicts and high-pressure situations
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience leading or managing engineering teams of 4 or more engineers
- 5+ years of hands-on Software Engineering experience, preferably within the Java or Go ecosystem
- Experience building and maintaining complex distributed systems
- Expertise in project management, prioritization frameworks, and guiding investment strategies in people and systems
- Familiarity with "Infrastructure as Code" and tooling like Terraform, Docker and Jenkins
- Experience creating world-class User-facing experiences for Web & Mobile Clients
- Understanding of the world of Sports & Fandom
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).