Manager, Software Engineering - Riot Esports, Sports I & O
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work across multiple domains. As Engineering Managers, we gain organizational alignment by building a strong engineering vision and offering creative solutions to organizational design. We also serve as mentors for engineers, guiding their performance and finding growth opportunities while maintaining a focus on results for players.
As a Manager, Software Engineering in Sports Innovations & Optimizations, you'll oversee the health and performance of the Engineering Discipline across our Esport Game Features team. You'll be leading a team changing the way fans of our current and future esports watch and interact with the sport. We have only scratched the surface of what esports can be; the work that you do will directly affect the sustainability, story-telling and fan experience of our professional leagues. We are looking for someone who can bring a variety of experience to our games that will impact the way fans experience them during live broadcasts.
You will be part of the Sports Innovations & Optimizations team in Global Esports, reporting to the Director, Software Engineering.
- Manage a team of 6-10 software engineers ranging from associate-level to staff-level.
- Support a team working collaboratively with product, delivery, technical, and quality leads.
- Help us with design, code and release processes for the products and solutions produced on your team.
- Design the team makeup so that it has the skills needed for our goals.
- Be a great career mentor and support system for your engineering team.
- Partner with your Tech Leads to provide technical direction to esports engineering teams
- Create a diverse and inclusive team where all members feel they have a voice and are welcome
- Represent your team's point of view and priorities to other teams and products
- Hold your team accountable to Riot's engineering and performance standards and Riot Values
- 2+ years as an Engineering Manager working on a multiplatform team
- 6+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- Expertise with growth and mentorship of engineers
- Expertise in software development life cycle, project management, and prioritization frameworks
- Experience with backend service development (Java, Go)
- Expertise in C++ or Unreal
- Distributed systems experience
- Experience leading teams in live operations settings
- Startup experience
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).