Manager, Software Engineering, Web Platform Optimization
Recent advances in desktop and mobile web browsers have created a revival of gaming in the browser. When a user clicks a link, or scans a QR code, they expect a near-instant experience. While the latest consumer hardware, and ever increasing network connection speeds, will improve the experience over time, this is not enough! We need to thoroughly optimize the download of game assets and the download and startup of the Unity WebAssembly runtime.
We are looking for a manager to build up and lead a new team focused on building the measurement framework, and delivering optimization improvements. This team will work alongside the existing Web Platform and Web Graphics teams.
This role is a combination of technical leadership and people management. The right person will help us attract, develop and retain high quality engineering talent. If you thrive on shaping software that is loved and used by millions, and leading the engineers who build and maintain it, then we’ve got a great job opportunity for you!
What you’ll be doing
- Build out the Web Platform Optimization team
- Organize the research, investigation, measurement and implementation tasks
- Own and drive the technical strategy for the team
- Collaborate with web platform/graphics engineering teams, and communicate your team’s vision and progress both internally and externally
- Support the members of your engineering team as they advance in their career goals
What we’re looking for
- Experience growing and managing an effective software engineering team
- A passion for developing innovative optimization solutions
- A methodical approach to prioritizing and validating possible approaches
You might also have
- Understanding of current web standards (WebGL, WebGPU, Web Workers, Emscripten and/or WebAssembly) and browser compatibility
- Prior experience with Real-Time 3D projects, or games
- Expertise leading using agile development methodologies and/or leading distributed teams
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please fill out this form to let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.