Marketing Director, Esports (APAC)
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As the Marketing Director, Esports, you will oversee the marketing for Riot’s Esports global and regional products in the APAC region. You will leverage Riot’s vision to guide and implement local marketing efforts focused on engaging the current players of Riot and attracting the next generation of APAC esports fans to Riot Esports experiences.
You will be in an authority when it comes to local Esports viewership and fandom insights, and have a firm grasp of the Riot own and vendors landscape. You love games and are interested in Esports. You want to challenge convention and possess an entrepreneurial spirit. You’re willing to embrace the unknown, and come up with groundbreaking initiatives that take our relationship with our current and future Esports fans across APAC to the next level.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Publishing of APAC, you will lead a team of marketing professionals to drive campaigns that bring value, excitement, and trust to our Esports fans. As an integral member of the APAC leadership team, you will work directly with our leaders from Esports, Marketing, Country teams, to Commercial Partnerships to take Riot to new heights in APAC Esports.
You’ll join an internationally and culturally diverse team of Publishing professionals in Singapore that share our obsession with player experience. The Singapore Publishing team as APAC Hub oversees: India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Japan.
- Build a holistic cross-market and cross-product Esports marketing strategy in APAC aiming engagement of the current Riot players and extended fandom. Define our Esports journey for products across APAC - where do fans watch, socialize and champion their experiences. Align the strategy with the key teams involved: APAC Esports, Global Esports Marketing, APAC Publishing.
- Lead the development and implementation of marketing programs related to regional Esports products in disciplines such as League of Legends, VALORANT, Wild Rift and others. Guide successful execution of campaign and initiative development within the team - ensuring outstanding creative experiences that improve standards for Esports marketing across the industry, identifying and collaborating with the best-in-class agencies to do so.
- Be the key liaison between the Esports product, Global Marketing, and Riot's regional Publishing organization, advocating for successful outcomes through close collaboration and partnership. Partner with APAC and Central Esports Marketing teams to support our communication and content creation partners.
- Represent APAC in global Esports product strategy and SMEs groups, speaking to each market’s unique challenges and opportunities. Collaborate with other regions, exchanging the best practices and leveraging the solutions that were most resonating with our Esports current and future fans. Support the regional business strategy development and implementation as a member of Riot APAC Publishing leadership team.
- Build and lead a high performing team; regularly assess the team’s health, and composition; with a relentless strive for cohesion gains across the board. Mentor and provide growth opportunities to the team, be excellent and motivating leader for own organization
- Player focused: You understand your impact on the player and Esports fan experience because you are a player and Esports fan too. You use that knowledge to improve the overall experience of all our products. You take play and Esports competition seriously and you might also like game related topics such as board games, comics, and pop culture in general.
- Experienced and educated: You have deep marketing craft. You’ve managed the delivery of complex projects and products. You've created campaigns and driven large-scale marketing initiatives that champion player experience while challenging marketing conventions in the industry.
- Strategic: You have a broad vision of the APAC marketing landscape. Your strategic planning and results-driven attitude makes you an effective leader who can balance and prioritize short-term solutions without losing sight of the long-term vision; when making key decisions, you leave no variable unturned, including project scope, scheduling, viability of launches, risks and mitigation, and efficient issue escalation.
- People leadership: You naturally build, lead, and inspire teams by walking the talk. You think strategically about the skills your team needs to develop and define a holistic plan that includes on-the-job and training options. You are self-aware, you can take feedback well, and you remain open to constructive criticism. You can recognize failure and learn from mistakes. You coach your team members to achieve best results and you facilitate their development.
- Analytical: You're able to expertly explore metrics and analyze gamer trends to construct business cases that support initiatives, help establish best practices, position products and develop strategies for creative and media.
- You've earned your bachelors in a relevant field and may even have an MBA as well. Ideally, you have at least 10 years of experience in Marketing, Entertainment, Games.
- Industry Leadership: You are familiar with some or all of our APAC markets and you’re able to adjust our marketing strategy to the region. Ideally, you have extensive experience in the gaming industry - particularly in Esports or Entertainment. You stay up-to-date and ahead of the curve of marketing initiatives carried out by other innovative gaming and media companies.