Narrative Designer [Far Cry Project]
What you’ll do as a Narrative Designer:
- An active member part of a collaborative team focused on creating a rich experience for players in an open world that allows them to make meaningful choices;
- Partner with scriptwriters to create compelling, non-linear stories and key narrative mechanics within the game;
- Partner with the team to understand the overall game vision;
- Help embrace and champion the creative and narrative vision of the game.
- Brainstorm and research ideas + discuss your findings with collaborative, cross-discipline teams;
- Pitch your ideas, create proposals, documentation, in collaboration with both writers and other disciplines to fully realize narrative features and content for the game;
- Carefully construct branching, interactive narratives with an economic approach to dialogue choice and consequence while centering the player experience;
- Drive the design and implementation of engaging quests and open-world content, continuously evaluating their quality, coherence, and iterating accordingly;
- Act as a bridge between narrative and other disciplines, as well as an advocate for storytelling in various aspects of the game when needed;
- Communicate relevant updates regularly across the entire team.
- Create and maintain detailed narrative design documents to guide cross-functional teams throughout production;
- Be open to feedback and repeatedly iterate on narrative content in the dynamic environment that game development requires;
- Be able to critically, constructively, and succinctly provide narrative feedback to team members from multiple disciplines;
- Be able to act as a game narrative expert supporting other disciplines in art, audio, and design;
- Work with our engine and toolset for quest and dialog scripting, writing, data management, etc.
- Thoroughly work with Oasis, Ubisoft’s proprietary writing tool and keep your story elements error-free;
- Carry out all other related tasks;
What to send our way:
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills;
- A variety of samples of your best work (attach files or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio). The samples should demonstrate your ability to construct a branching, non-linear story, branching or interactive story. Additionally, a demonstration of how you create narrative mechanics is a plus.
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences. If you are excited about the role, we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the qualifications listed below.
- Deep, intuitive understanding of non-linear and branching narrative, systemic narrative practices and game production processes;
- Strong storytelling and character development abilities.
- Experience in open world game storytelling is an asset.
- An understanding of content creation pipelines and tools.
- A passion for video games as a storytelling medium;
- A highly creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit;
- Curiosity, flexibility, and plenty of resourcefulness;
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Rigorous documentation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Adaptable and problem-solving mindset.
- Ability to adapt to feedback and to iterate on design;
- Experience with branching tools;
- A degree in Creative Writing, Literature, Film, or equivalent;
- 3+ years of game development experience or related experience;
- Knowledge of quest design is an asset;
- System design experience is an asset;
- Experience in visual scripting is an asset.
- A hybrid, flexible work model
- Five weeks of vacation + one week office closure around the December holidays
- An enhanced parental leave program
- Comprehensive Total Rewards Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation Assistance (If Applicable)
- Bonus (If Applicable)
You can learn more about Life at Ubisoft here: https://toronto.ubisoft.com/life-at-ubisoft/
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects the diversity of our player community, is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team and embodies our core values – trust, integrity, excellence and care.
We encourage applications from First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQIA+. Ubisoft Toronto is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request.
Please read our Code of Conduct prior to applying. It is our collective responsibility at Ubisoft Toronto to maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment, and be the best possible place to work and grow. Knowing and respecting our Code of Conduct’s principles and guidelines is key to achieving that goal.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
Ubisoft’s 21,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario