What a Narrative Design Director does at Criterion:
At Criterion we are passionate about creating player experiences that resonate emotionally with our players. We have a strong track record of doing this in our gameplay systems but are looking to evolve our strength in building player connection to characters through interactive storytelling.
The Narrative Director role is a new position within our studio and will be responsible for directing our efforts to create a coherent fiction for our world. The role will have broad influence, from contextualising our gameplay, to defining the game’s ‘voice’, to directing our writing team to deliver a strong core story.
We are looking for a candidate who is willing to explore avenues that put more of the story into the player’s hands while still delivering on narrative beats that contextualise and motivate the actions of our player and the character they are playing.
This role will report into the Creative Director, working with the creative leadership to define the Narrative vision for the product in close collaborations with game designers/producers, art directors, narrative designers, our cinematics team and other key stakeholders.
A Narrative Director also needs:
- Set the Narrative Vision and strategy for the product
- Build and direct a writing and narrative design team
- Maintain, safeguard and evangelise the narrative.
- Partner closely with craft leads and producers to integrate our story into all aspects of the game.
- Mentor and develop others on the narrative and wider design team in narrative design principles and methodologies
- Demonstrated proficiency and experiences in the field of interactive direction.
- Willingness to explore, or experience in exploring, narrative designs that puts more of the story in the player’s hands.