About the Role
As Narrative Director, you will be key in defining and executing the game’s narrative strategy. Working closely with the Creative Director, you will lead a group of passionate writers and narrative designers, and be the driver of all narrative-related matters within this record-breaking game.
What you will do
- Oversee the narrative context for all the missions, being responsible for all set pieces through storylines, screen-tests. Ensuring the quality of the script, scene breakdowns, and final edits of the scenes and cinematics;
- Coordinating with the Creative Director to define the story for upcoming releases;
- Coordinating with the Cinematics team, reviewing cutscenes to ensure they are on par with the vision;
- Work closely with the Game Director to make sure the game design lines up with the narrative experience, and with the Art Director on the characters and world.
- Leading casting and voice recording sessions;
- Ensuring the overall coherence of the storyline/scripted events throughout the game;
- Providing guidelines in regard to the development of specific narrative/scripted event features and assets;
- Contributing to the writing process and ensuring that the narrative scenes and cinematics are integrated into the gameplay;
- Ensuring constant communication between the development team and other project stakeholders;
- Participate in recruitment to build your scriptwriting team & foster their growth, training and coaching new narrative team members
- A degree in Creative Writing, Literature, Film, or equivalent
- Proven narrative design or writing experience in game production
- Shipped at least one project as either a Narrative Lead, Lead Writer, or Narrative Director.
- Solid understanding of the video game industry, the market, and modern culture
- A highly creative, collaborative, empathetic, and innovative spirit
- Curiosity, flexibility, and resourcefulness, adapt to feedback
- Good problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, presentation, and mentorship skills
Nice to Have
- Speak both Mandarin and English fluently.
- Know how to use the Ubisoft proprietary narrative tools (like Oasis Next) it's a big bonus.
Benefits and Perks from Ubisoft Shanghai:
- Future of Work framework: flexible hours and up to 8 days of working remotely per calendar month
- A minimum of 15 days paid annual leave
- Monthly meal and snack allowance
- Premium medical insurance plan and free annual health check
- Game Package: free access to Ubisoft games on PC plus a rich and expanding library of games & books
- Employee Assistance Program: well-being solutions, emotional support, and life coaching
- 10+ staff clubs featuring weekly sports and gaming activities and events
Ubisoft CSR commitment
Making a long-lasting positive impact for our players, our teams, our partners and our planet.
In Ubisoft, we are working to enrich players’ lives through unique and memorable gaming experiences and by improving the positive impacts of our games. To get there, we are creating a safer, more inclusive work environment, we are giving back to the communities where Ubisoft operates by working with local non-profit partners and by working to reduce the environmental impact of our business.
To learn more about Ubisoft’s Environmental Commitment
Play Green: Ubisoft’s Commitment to Global Carbon Neutrality