The incumbent will ensure the quality of the game’s narrative vision. The candidate must be an expert in managing the collaboration between narrative, design, art, and audio to unite narrative experience and gameplay systems to provide players with immersive and compelling gaming experiences.
They will support and strengthen the project's overall vision and narrative ecosystem, working closely with the creative and world director to translate high-level ideas into a coherent and believable narrative experience that will enrich the world and fantasy of the game.
The main and routine tasks of this position are to:
· Define a narrative vision which respects and supports the Creative Director’s vision as well as the theme and tone of the game.
· Lead and propose innovating narrative systems that support player’s autonomy, emergent story moments and self-determination model.
· Create an achievable and coherent narrative direction, by having a good understanding of the game mechanics, systems, technical limitations, and production capacity.
· Work directly with design team to ensure that core mechanics fully support the narrative context, and vice-versa.
· Work closely with the World Director in creating a living and believable world by defining history, events, and places in which the game will take place.
· Oversee narrative structure and pacing by being an active participant in the definition of the game’s blueprint through its missions/quests and world/map layout.
· Partner with the writing team when developing main characters, key narrative moments and in-world narrative elements.
· Collaborate with the Cinematic and Realisation Director to ensure the narrative continuity between in-game and scripted sequences.
· Be a key stakeholder during the actors casting process, voice recording and Mo-Cap sessions.
· Exploit all elements and tools the game can provide – such as game systems, art, sound, UI – to enhance and support the narrative experience of the game.
· Communicate instructions on features and assets development specific to narration (e.g. scripted events and dynamic systems elements such as dynamic camera, AI, dialogues, in-world documents, etc.).
· Lead the narrative strategy and ensure its constant communication to the development team and the project’s stakeholders.
· Carry out all other related tasks.
College diploma in a creative field.
Bachelor’s degree an asset.
At least five years’ experience on AAA games or multimedia projects.
Narrative direction experience in the game production process.
Skills and Knowledge:
· Influence and positive leadership.
· Open-mindedness and ability to create consensus.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Vast video game understanding and culture.
· Strong technical skills and extensive film culture.
· Embrace Player centric approach.
· Strong understanding of the interactive medium and its power to support exploration and experimentation.
About Ubisoft Sherbrooke
Ubisoft Sherbrooke is a multidisciplinary team of passionate people. Joining us means being part of a close-knit and welcoming family. It also means working in a human-sized studio where flexibility and interaction are the order of the day. We care about our people and our way of doing things.
Between the magnificent nature that surrounds the studio and the trendy and invigorating life of the Estrie region, there's no need to compromise: family life, the outdoors, restaurants, outings with friends... joining Ubisoft Sherbrooke also means discovering an urban-casual lifestyle!
We're looking for committed creators and forward-looking talents who want to take on challenges as a team.
Interested? We're waiting for you!
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.