Narrative Writer II - VALORANT
As Narrative Writers at Riot, we work in an interdisciplinary environment with designers, artists, and engineers to bring a team’s ideas to life. We use our creative skills to collaboratively build new characters, environments, and story moments that resonate with players and enhance their gameplay experience.
As a Narrative Writer II on VALORANT, you will report into VALORANT’s Narrative Lead, generating a variety of in-game and out-of-game narrative content, with a focus on new Agent development. Agent development is a highly collaborative process in which backstory, lore, the voice of the character, and in-game dialog are integral parts of the player facing content, and also provide a strong foundation and inspiration to the design, art, audio and VFX. You must have a passion for writing for in-game characters, and the unique demands of delivering engaging, distinct character personalities whilst meeting the fast paced, clarity focused requirements of in-game dialog that supports FPS gameplay. You will also support other projects including: foundational worldbuilding, IP documentation, and a variety of cross team narrative-supported initiatives. You'll work quickly and effectively as a collaborator or leader of a creative initiative. If you dream of breathing life into three-dimensional, aspirational, and diverse characters and settings in a growing game, this is the role for you. Ultimately, it’s your love of gaming, passion for game writing, and highly-polished portfolio of work that will position you to help players create their own unique narratives through play.
- Partner with concept artists and designers to develop new Agents that are iconic, diverse, globally authentic additions to the VALORANT IP. Develop bios, backstory and character personas to inform cross-discipline development.
- Collaborate with stakeholders & VO Director on casting and recording of character dialog for in game and cinematics.
- Write in-game and out-of-game Agent dialogue that fits VALORANT’s high-stakes tactical gameplay and delivers rich expression of character.
- Support other writers through collaborative work processes, sharing best practices, elevating narrative quality, and contributing as a community member.
- Assist partner teams (Maps, Expressions, Marketing, eSports, Vendors, etc) in achieving cohesive expressions of the VALORANT IP through the creation of accessible IP documentation, and embracing a “yes and” collaborative mindset.
- Contribute to a cross-disciplinary team delivering story-driven content updates that embed across VALORANT’s game client to progress VALORANT’s narrative, broaden its world, deepen its characters, and further its mysteries.
- BA Degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years as a narrative writer
- 1+ years with game dialog writing, character creation on character driven action games
- Experience working with voiceover directors and talent during VO recordings
- Presentation software (G Suite, MS Office etc)
- Passion and Fluency for FPS gameplay
- Familiarity with the VALORANT IP
- 2+ years of games industry experience
- Experience working on a live game as service
- Experience with Jira or other project tracking software
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $98,000 USD - $138,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.