Ops Engineering Internship
Job Title:Ops Engineering Internship
Ops Engineering Internship
Demonware (Activision), Vancouver
Demonware provides online services for gaming. We craft, develop, and host services for some of the world’s biggest video game franchises, including Call of Duty and Crash Bandicoot.
We are technology-driven and dedicated to openness. This means collaborating to tackle problems, the freedom to talk to anyone, and the best idea wins. We take the work seriously; ourselves, not so much!
Big company, small company culture
Demonware hosts millions of concurrently connected users. Some of the technologies we use are Python, Linux, MySQL, C++, and Erlang. We solve tough problems on a day to day basis, and interns have a huge impact on what we do. We’ve had interns contribute code and have it running in production within the first three days of joining.
We’re open to work terms of 8+ months. Recently graduated? We still want to hear from you!!
The CloudEng team is responsible for all things private and public cloud at Demonware. We architect, build foundations and on-board other engineering teams onto the public cloud, we manage and maintain our on-premise private cloud, and we offer services to enable Demonware developers to create “cloud-ready” game services. We deal with low-level kernel tweaking, we develop self-serve tooling to support massive-scale deployments, and we build best practices into everything we do.
- Learning to implement foundational infrastructure (DNS, identity/authentication, Artifact management, etc)
- Designing and implementing tools and automations running on distributed systems
- Identifying opportunities to automate time-consuming, manual work
- Performing root cause analyses and proposing and/or implementing engineering solutions to prevent or mitigate recurring incidents
- Participating in design and code reviews
- Excitement to learn about operations
- Debugging and analytical skills
- Strong communication of technical concepts
- Linux fundamentals
- Familiarity with scripting
- Familiarity with source control (git preferred)
- Knowledge of networking technologies (e.g., TCP, UDP, DNS)
- Experience diving into code to understand how it’s supposed to work -- and why it doesn’t
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines
How to Apply
Please apply on the Demonware website: submit your resume, cover letter and a copy of your most recent school transcripts. You will also have to complete a short assessment related to your knowledge of operations.
In your resume and cover letter, please list any additional experience you have. This could be a project you are working on with Linux at home, any programming-related hobbies and resulting projects, an interesting school assignment, or any open source involvement. Please include any links to your code repository and/or blog.