Principal Analyst, Game Economy
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar London is on the lookout for a talented Principal Analyst, Game Economy who possesses a passion for games, economics, and big data. You are adept at applying academic (macroeconomic, microeconomic, behavioral psychology) expertise and industry best-practices to report on, iterate upon, and improve in-game experiences for players as it relates to in-game economy design.
The economy systems you will analyze and collaborate with the game design teams to manage, are core to our games’ performance metrics, game progression, reward payouts, item pricing, and overall game economy health and balance.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique studio in the heart of London.
WHAT WE DO
- The Rockstar Analytics team provides insights and actionable results to a wide variety of stakeholders across the organization in support of their decision making.
- We partner with multiple departments across the company, leveraging analytics to measure and improve on the success and health of our games.
- We collaborate as a global team to develop cutting-edge data pipelines, data products, data models, reports, analyses, and machine learning applications which help enrich the player experience.
- Analyze our games’ economies, player engagement, and monetization at a macro and micro level to further the strategic vision of our games and drive increased player engagement, satisfaction, and monetization.
- Develop and iterate upon reporting to track overall economic health of our games and performance of ongoing changes to our games’ virtual economies. Identify issues and opportunities to recommend strategies to optimize our games’ economies.
- Model, simulate, and tune complex game economy systems with one or more in-game currencies, multiple progression systems, and numerous sources and sinks.
- Design and execute experiments to measure the impact of changes to our games’ virtual economies.
- Collaborate with several teams across Rockstar such as Game Design, Strategy, Community, and UX Research to design, implement, and evaluate the success of in-game economy updates.
- Partner with the broader Player Analytics & Insights team to identify and contribute to analytical experiments aligned with long-term strategic initiatives.
- Assure Rockstar’s ongoing competitive advantage through best-in-class data-informed initiatives that have a high potential of applicability in industry.
- Keep up to date with economic research and market trends to propose innovative methodologies for examining our in-game economies.
- 7+ years of experience as an economist or economic analyst in the gaming, finance, or technology fields and/or academic research required.
- Graduate degree in Economics, with a strong quantitative background.
- Passion for Rockstar Games and our titles.
- Experience with Tableau or other data visualization tools.
- Experience with SQL (or a SQL-like language).
- Experience in communicating results to a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to model and simulate potential economy changes, anticipate downstream effects, and make adjustments prior to releasing changes.
- Experience in applied econometrics and statistical inference, preferably in gaming (console, PC, or mobile), entertainment, or technology.
- Ability to develop and maintain good relations and communicate with people at all hierarchical levels.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Detail-oriented and solution-oriented. Capable of providing specific solutions at each step of the process.
- Ability to reconcile technical and business perspectives.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience with imperative programming in R or Python.
- Experience with Hadoop and PySpark.
- Experience with Snowflake.
- Game industry experience strongly desired.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.