Principal Game Writer - Temporary (Star Wars Jedi)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide.
Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order, Star Wars™ Jedi: Survivor and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.
We’re looking for a highly skilled Principal Game Writer who will embrace our philosophy
and share their hard-earned expertise to help us create an incredible Star Wars™
experience for our players in a fun, third-person action-adventure setting. We’re picturing an avid gamer who is passionate about storytelling through interactive narratives. Under the direction of the Lead Writer, the Principal Game Writer will be responsible for writing dialogue, scenes, story treatments and supporting text for the game.
What you’ll do...
- Work with the Lead Writer and narrative team to develop compelling and immersive narrative gameplay that fits seamlessly within the Star Wars™ universe.
- Write character and world guides, casting documents, and other supporting narrative content.
- Write concise and evocative dialogue in multiple voices.
- Expertise in character-centric storytelling and a passion for moment-to-moment dialog and drama.
- Contribute to establishing best practices for storytelling that support our goals of an interactive narrative experience.
- Collaborate with other departments and assist their narrative-focused goals.
- Maintain documentation and assist in recording sessions and script management..
- Assist as needed with marketing or other written company communications related to the project.
- Mentor other writers and lead by example.
Ideally, you will have...
- 8+ years’ experience of disciplined writing in a professional capacity.
- Experience as a Senior Writer or Lead Writer on shipped games. AAA experience is ideal.
- Strong understanding of the story development process, and a passion for third-person action-adventure games and the Star Wars™ universe.
- A desire to write for interactive, living narrative that respond to player choice and agency.
- Experience with development tools such as game engines, interactive fiction editors and non-linear video editing.
- Strong understanding of how to work with other disciplines in a highly collaborative studio environment.
- Ability to process and react to feedback from multiple sources. The ability to self-critique and accept outside critique.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- College degree in screenwriting, creative writing, filmmaking, narrative design, or similar discipline; or equivalent professional experience.
Please submit your application with relevant game writing samples to be considered for review.
CONTRACT POSITION - 3-6 Months
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The hourly pay ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the hourly pay range for your specific location.
The hourly pay ranges represent in good faith what applicants can expect to be paid for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
HOURLY PAY RANGES
• California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento):
º $92 - $110
• Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs):
º $72 - $94
• New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo):
º $92 - $110
• Jersey City, NJ:
º $92 - $110
• Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane):
º $92 - $110
Candidates may also be eligible for applicable benefits.