Principal, Netcode Engineer
Connected real-time applications are rapidly becoming ubiquitous across social, entertainment, and many industries. Game developers repeatedly say that multiplayer game creation remains one of their hardest challenges; balancing ease-of-use with performance and flexibility remains unsolved. As a result, we’ve seen far too little innovation in multiplayer games over the last decade, while creativity in single-player games has thrived.
At Unity, our customers build all kinds of experiences not only across game genres but beyond games as well. Our multiplayer solutions need the versatility to meet the demands of these applications, enabling new and larger experiences to be made. We need an expert networking and multiplayer engineer to help us define a roadmap and architectural vision across our offerings in netcode, server runtime, and multiplayer authoring. You are an industry leader in game networking, able to speak authoritatively about networking system design for multiple game types. Join a team dedicated to creating a performant & flexible networking stack, and a modern development experience tailored to multiplayer games.
What you’ll be doing
- Provide architectural direction for a netcode SDK and associated libraries that prepares us well to grow our offering over the years across GameObjects and Entities.
- Work across multiple teams to lead an effort for a consistent product experience across netcode stacks, dedicated server, multiplayer tooling, and educational and marketing samples.
- Develop systems covering everything from lag compensation to game object replication
- Design high-level systems integrated with the Unity Editor & Unity Engine
What we’re looking for
- Expert knowledge of low-level networking concepts and high-level multiplayer game systems
- Experience as a multiplayer or networking engineer in a shipped a game
- Experience crafting architectural system designs
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Experience with high-performance programming, multithreading, and memory management
You might also have
- C# expertise
- Prior experience with the Unity engine
- Eagerness to mentor others
- Contributions to a Unity networking solution
Gross base salary (USD): $217,400 - $294,100 *
*Note: Certain locations require a good faith disclosure of the base salary range for the role. The actual salary for the successful candidate may differ based on location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please fill out this form to let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.