About this Role
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Principal Software Engineer works in a cross-ocean product team and serves as a technical leader for delivering the best web experience for millions of Fandom's Tabletop users. You will help us scale and improve our products by creating multiple features to allow users to power their gaming experience. This is part of an autonomous, experienced team, involved in all steps of our development process, and allows this role to contribute their own ideas and improvements to our platform.
- Have a Broad Technical Impact
- You will own this technical area from an architectural and systems design perspective, leading other engineers, and working side-by-side with them to discover and implement solutions.
- This role will be a top technical leader throughout all of Fandom and will need to communicate across a variety of audiences is imperative.
- Execute with the Future in Mind
- Think about the future, not overbuilding for it, and finding that right balance of developing solutions for current needs while not over-optimizing for issues we're not sure we'll need to solve.
- Always have a plan for potential future issues and growth opportunities.
- Stay abreast of applicable new technology innovations happening in the industry, knows when is the right time to bring new thoughts and potential architectural changes into discussions with an understanding of the trade-offs and potential impact on overall tech-debt.
- Be Accountable
- Provide technical leadership for impactful projects that involve multiple teams and span multiple technologies and systems
- Lead large projects or large significant pieces of projects depending on the project scale
- Identify risks and opportunities to improve the organization's methods and technologies
- Influence other senior leaders on engineering strategy
- Lead Key Initiatives
- Work with the Data Science team to build out and scale our Tabletop platform for millions of users worldwide.
- Work with our engineering teams to continue our migration from a monolithic stack to a microservice-based architecture.
- 10+ years of Consumer Web software engineering experience with a track-record of growth in development, design, and architecture
- Recent experience building and migrating to a modern front-end tech-stack JAMstack, Raect.js, Redux, typescript, express.js
- Practical usage of scaled-up DBMS based platforms (DynamoDB, MongoDB), with expertise in both relational and nonrelational systems and when it is necessary to choose each one
- Strong API integration skills with experience in cloud architecture using tools such as AWS, Elastic Search, GraphQL (Apollo) and Cognito
- A high degree of proficiency in building full-stack web systems, in both dynamic and highly cached environment using one or more of the following C#, Node.js, Python
Bonus Points if You Have...
- A passion for fandoms and an interest in building products for fan communities around the world.
- Contributed to open-source projects
Benefits & Perks
- Health, Vision, Dental, and Life Insurance
- 401k Plan (+matching)
- Flexible time off - flexible and generous
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Family Assistance Programs
- Employee Assistance Programs and Support
- Wellness Programs
- Loan-Assistance, money-management, pet insurance, and other discounts
- Phone, Gym, and commuter programs
- An international work environment with a startup culture
Fandom is a global entertainment media brand powered by fan passion. The fan-trusted source in entertainment, Fandom provides a home to explore, contribute to, and celebrate the world of pop culture. Whether looking for in-depth information on favorite fandoms or what's buzzing in entertainment, Fandom has your pop culture curiosities covered through fan-expert knowledge and carefully curated and fun, original multi-platform content.
Fandom has a global audience of 300 million monthly unique users and encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. We feature more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video.
- We serve a global community.
Connection with our fans, creators, and partners is at our core, and it’s grounded by our active efforts of inclusion.
- We build experiences.
We imagine, improve, and deliver solutions.
- We bring joy.
We celebrate our fandoms, our teammates, and the work we do.
Learn More about Fandom
How Does COVID impact hiring at Fandom?
Fandom has historically thrived with a mixed workforce of in-office teams and key remote employees working from a distance. During the COVID pandemic, Fandom employees switched to an all-remote model. We miss each other and look forward to reopening our offices when the timing is right. Ask your Talent Partner for updates on the timing for reopening. Fandom is dedicated to keeping our employees and partners safe.
Fandom is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Fandom, one of our core values is We Serve a Global Community. Connection with our fans, creators, and partners is at our core, and it's grounded by our active efforts of inclusion. As such, we're proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, political affiliation, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We invite you to complete the optional section below. This information will help Fandom with our reporting requirements and help us learn more about how we can increase diversity in our candidate pool. Completion of this section is entirely voluntary and has no impact on your opportunity for employment.